Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 328 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    Hey,
    Sorry I can't remember all the nifty ideas; there was a thread about this awhile ago (for how to make it fun). All I can remember is what worked for us wink which is "Multiplication War"--just like the card game "War," but you each put down two cards at once from your pile and then multiply them; let the kids do it and figure out who won. (also works for division and subtraction, ha) We would also go for family walks and swing DD when she answered a question right, but that works better when you have a higher ratio of adults to kids. Good luck!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    We currently backed away from "on purpose" memorization of the multiplication tables since she was so against it. She seems to be happier just to learn "as she goes" meaning when she does something that requires multiplication/division - she can use printout table and after two or three times she will have it in her memory. So we have random 4*6 and 8*9 kind of facts so far down but it will come eventually. It slowes us down a bit but I think we ahead enough not to worry about it anyway :-) Thank you all for suggestions - we will use them this summer if needed!

CCN #151166 03/17/13 01:32 PM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Multiplication memorization is the key that unlocked all of this. It may have been a chore to do the memorization, but it made everything that came after far less so.

I know you're right about this... I just wish there was a way to make it more fun. I've always hated memorization (still do) so I have a reflexive aversion to it which I need to overcome, so I can show my kids how to as well...

Free game that is really good for teaching multiplication...TimezAttack (find it by googling it) and down load the free version. TimezAttack is fancy graphics but systematic instruction. (TimezAttack also has an +- in Beta and I think division but we have only been working on x).

Game that costs...Aleks.com...my son is doing the third grade program math class work through Aleks and that includes (separately) +-x and division tables work in a systematic way but also includes little games to play (nothing fancy).

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    P
    P
    We also have been trying Times Attack by Big Brains. My DS who knew them before, but slowly, has really upped his speed and now does better than me. (I really need to play the game, as I was never a fast calculator, and maybe the only person in my differential equations class who still had to count on her fingers..;( Sad but true.)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM