Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by bzylzy
    I do believe in adjusting somewhat though "when in Rome" etc. to blend or be understood. But also the other people have to meet people not like themselves part way. That's how it should work,anyway.

I see this point of view, but I also see the other side of it. If the PTA member was going to work in expensive designer clothes and wearing different expensive jewelry every day, I can see changing. Maybe not in the car, though. Maybe at work or at home.

I once went to a fast-food restaurant with someone wearing a very expensive fur coat and a lot of really nice jewelry. We had come from work, and this was how people dressed there. No one said anything, but we both felt out of place. I can see that people who are struggling to make ends meet would react negatively to seeing someone dressed like that at every PTA meeting. Not to mention that by advertising your wealth, you set yourself up to be asked for donations again and again.

I also understand that you can't predict how other every other person will react to your clothes or speech habits. But that doesn't mean you should use that fact as a reason to do anything you like and ignore how most other people might reasonably react.

B
    B
    everything in moderation...and when you're an adult it's your choice.

a kid of 13 has plenty of time to learn if he has awareness and parents to guide him correctly he can make informed decisons for himself as he moves forward.

an adult teacher calling a kid "Mr. Zero" even in jest...just inappropriate

Originally Posted by Val
    I can see that people who are struggling to make ends meet would react negatively to seeing someone dressed like that at every PTA meeting. Not to mention that by advertising your wealth, you set yourself up to be asked for donations again and again.

Well, as long as that person demonstrated the appropriate traits of noblesse oblige, then there should be no harassment.

As we all know, someone with wealth needs to step up to the plate and provide social and financial leadership to those who have less, provided, of course that those who have less did not waste their family wealth on booze, cards, and women of loose morals.

With wealth comes responsibility, so I think a person's actual station in life should be shown to others so that people can learn from their leadership and success.

After all, how can we learn to become better people if we don't know who our betters are?

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    ....provided, of course that those who have less did not waste their family wealth on booze, cards, and women of loose morals.

So, it's okay to waste your inheritance on men of loose morals?

This is an important question.

Originally Posted by Val
    ....provided, of course that those who have less did not waste their family wealth on booze, cards, and women of loose morals.

So, it's okay to waste your inheritance on men of loose morals?

This is an important question.

I'm heterosexual, so I'm not likely to be wasting my inheritance on men of loose morals if I were disposed to so waste my inheritance.

Fortunately, my father saw fit to waste my mother's inheritance on his second wife, which actually ended up being pretty funny more than anything else.

So, I didn't receive an inheritance when my mother passed that would have enabled me to waste my inheritance on wine, women, and song.

Val Offline
    I'm heterosexual, so I'm not likely to be wasting my inheritance on men of loose morals ....

(Girls get inheritances too)

Originally Posted by Val
    I'm heterosexual, so I'm not likely to be wasting my inheritance on men of loose morals ....

(Girls get inheritances too)

(Girls also waste their inheritances on wine, women and song.)

I notice that he didn't answer your Very Important Question, either. wink
    Given my location, I could probably waste it on Morels. It may be problematic finding loose ones associated exclusively with men, however. Locally, cultivated seems to be the norm. There is a nice lesbian couple that has a mushroom farm, though... perhaps they would be WOMEN of loose morels?

I would probably just skip right to wasting my inheritance on alpacas and fiber festivals, though I hear that there are mighty fine pinots to be had around here, too.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Locally, cultivated seems to be the norm. There is a nice lesbian couple that has a mushroom farm, though... perhaps they would be WOMEN of loose morels?

I would probably just skip right to wasting my inheritance on alpacas and fiber festivals, though I hear that there are mighty fine pinots to be had around here, too.

Ahh. I like that. Wasting your inheritance in a local, sustainable, organic way. That's good for the environment and sets a good example for others.

Gifted ed. tie-in ----> You could probably do a class on that: Sociology of inheritances: wasting your ancestors' money while saving the planet. Would be great for gifted children of the uber-wealthy. <-----

Last edited by Val; 01/11/13 07:17 PM.
    I'm a wastrel with a social conscience, what can I say? wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM