Thanks to polarbear. Your reply helps me understand the coding subtest. I will take your advice to ask the psychologist to note it in her report.

DD took MAP test and got 118 in reading in the fall of 2nd grade. It is 99%. The teacher told me that it is equivalent to 4th to 5th grade level. At the same time, she said that she has several kids within the same range. I don't know other students' scores. So I can not tell what range she referred to.

I also read online that MAP is considered a grade level assessment. It doesn't necessarily tell you what knowledge the kids know about above the grade level. My DS used to have MAP reading score between 90 to 95 percentile for a couple years. But when he took the talent search test, to our surprise, he scored over 95 percentile comparing to rest gifted kids at his grade level. Therefore I suspect that DS might have known some higher level contents. However he never got a chance to be tested with those knowledge in MAP test. Later on DS told me that he got stuck on the same MAP reading question at both 2nd grade and 3rd grade fall. He didn't know the meaning of a certain terminology. So I explained to him. Then his MAP got up to 99% at the following time. Based on DS experience, I suspect how MAP test can accurately assess a gifted child achievement in every cases. But DD is too young to take talent search. I either have to wait or pay for the individual achievement test for the purpose of advocacy.