Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    I had to ask the g/t coordinator for our school the same thing. My oldest is hungry to learn, my youngest is just as bright and could care less if he learns at school or not. The g/t coordinator said to not worry about it until 3rd grade. Just let school be fun and to allow my child to "learn" with the other children.
    I wouldn't push at all. Just provide what you can in terms of learning and experiences. Make sure school is enjoyable. Make sure your child is doing the things that a kindergartner should be doing (playing in mud, going to the playground, making friends, being silly, going to the library.)
    They only get one childhood!

J
    jaytee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks, everyone. I think developing the work ethic and finding the point of optimal learning are really the two issues I'm struggling with the most right now. So far, the language immersion program is great, but even my son recognizes that he's not learning much else. His school is 80/20 language immersion in kindergarten and then goes to 50/50 through fifth grade.

Honestly, I wish that school were just shorter overall. Kindergarten is 6.5 hours a day, which I think is nuts, especially considering how little he is really learning. He is involved in a couple of extracurricular activities (running club, chess, and kung fu last semester, but we will be dropping kung fu once Little League season starts), but he doesn't have the energy for anything more because his school days are so long. He had been taking piano lessons, but it was getting to be too much with everything else. School sometimes feels like time wasted when he could be doing something else he'd find more fulfilling.

Otherwise, though, he's a generally happy child. He is well-liked by both teachers and classmates, and he has a ton of same age friends outside of school. Boredom isn't yet that big a problem; lack of work ethic - not just in academics - is only just starting to be. I'm just trying to stay ahead of everything, because I don't want to look back and think, "If only I had done [whatever] when he was a little. What a difference it would have made."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM