Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OCJD #143792 12/01/12 04:38 PM
    Z
    Z
    "Normal" gifted sleep is a hard thing to judge... DS~7 has been trending downwards in sleep, right now it is 9 hours. I was closer to 7.5 hours when I was 8 and was down to 5 by high school, but it was a steady trend.

Both DS and myself, suffer the "brain won't shut off" for sleep. He needs music, I tend to have a documentary on. Reading doesn't work for me as it just gets the brain reengaged. If it is his brain won't shut-down, maybe some way for him to focus his attention away from his thoughts like music would help.

The number one way we gauge if DS is "getting enough sleep" is whether he wakes up on his own in the morning.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Both DS and myself, suffer the "brain won't shut off" for sleep. He needs music, I tend to have a documentary on. Reading doesn't work for me as it just gets the brain reengaged. If it is his brain won't shut-down, maybe some way for him to focus his attention away from his thoughts like music would help.

I have no trouble falling asleep, but I only need about 5 hours. Anything more leaves me with a headache. (I can't meditate though - omg - talk about brain not shutting off...)

My DD10 and DS8 get anywhere from 7-9 hours, depending on how late they stay up to read or how early they wake up. Their in-class performance varies, although in a recent survey of their teachers I was told that they're not consistently sleepy (only occasionally). Mind you I give them protein shakes in their lunch which I think helps (I sometimes think DD has ADHD like her brother, so I use the recommendations for ADHD on both of them). FYI, I use whey isolate, and I'm careful about the amount - too much can be hard on kidneys so you need to monitor protein intake carefully if you supplement.

Last edited by CCN; 12/01/12 06:04 PM.
    OCJD #143872 12/03/12 10:43 AM
    O
    OCJD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Thank you all again. I already put many of your thoughts into action over the weekend especially with regard to the types of food he's eating for a late night snack.

Thank you thank you!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs