Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    megamay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    thanks yeah, we are in the suburbs in a district that isn't one of the BEST in the area for high achieving kids (my husband went to Lower Merion but we couldn't afford a house there right now), but it's a pretty good district, which is one of the reasons we chose to move there. We also heard that they have great elementary schools, but now I just don't know.

M
    megamay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    thanks, but it's just not an option right now. I work full time and commute two hours each day and my husband is in graduate school full time. Plus, my daughter is very social and I don't know how she would take to homeschooling. Academically, it would be perfect for her.

M
    megamay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    It can be difficult to prove advanced math ability unless you've been actively teaching, in any case. Unlike reading, children generally need concepts introduced if they are going to do well on assessments ahead of grade level. (When I saw my DD's assessments for a grade ahead, she bombed out on things like pints and gallons and "lines of symmetry," which was hardly surprising since we hadn't taught her that stuff.) I agree that EM is especially weird and in its own odd world.

Yes... so if you haven't been teaching it, you have a kid who can't stay focused on the in class stuff because it's so boring, but can't demonstrate advanced ability because of lack of instruction-based acquired knowledge.

This is one of the reasons I "after school" my two in math (actually not DD9 anymore since she's in the math gifted pull out and can do stuff on-line at home). But DS8 - yes definitely. We do advanced stuff at home.

You advocate the best you can, and keep on advocating. Sometimes, though... you just have to get behind the wheel and drive the car yourself.

thanks, yeah we are doing some stuff at home. She has a math program on her tablet that she loves to play. I think our 'mistake' was letting her stop playing her math games and doing her math work at home, when she started first grade. She WAS doing that, but then she started school and her math curriculum was just SO different, and of course we were busy after school and it just got pushed aside. We have started it back up though, once we realized that she was really regressing in that area. I also introduced some logic puzzles and analogies that I used to love to do when I was a kid. She is enjoying those a lot too.

If she was held back in K, can she just move back into the grade she is supposed to be in (second, right?)

S
    S
    I recently had my son enter Kimdergaryen he is a young Kindergartener but was very advanced. I worried also when I saw them going over letters with my child who could do all of that at 18 mo and at 2 was reading. I pushed the school to test him because I wanted to know if I was dealing with a high learner or a gifted child. In my case the school luckily decided to try him in 1rst grade. However his new teacher was very reluctant to accept him. My mother in laws both teachers told me we were wrong to accelerate him. When the district psychologist finally tested him he hit the ceilings on every subtest and came in at 160+ IQ. That made the psychologist really take notice of his unique learning style and get a team of people helping him as well as helping his teacher see we weren't just pushy parents. He was not yet doing double digit math (he had never been taught) and is reading at a high level not quite Harry Potter. So bottom line it is not normal for a child at that age to be doing what yours is doing. If your child had a learning disability you wouldn't stop until you got intervention. I feel these gifted kids are the same they need intervention and as parents understanding as to what you are dealing with. So push for the test they can't say no. However the first thing they said to me after testing my son was public school may not be the right fit long term. Looking creatively at options is important.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM