Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Interesting. Do you have any resources explaining the RTI process further?

~amy
    D
    D

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    master of none - We had DS evaluated at his previous school (the local public) and had an ARD meeting. At that time we didn't have the dx from the neuro, and the school psych wanted to label him as being 'emotionally disturbed.' So, we tabled the ARD and then found out he got into the Charter school. I finally got to speak with the Principal of the charter school a few weeks after school started to discuss DS and his needs. She seemed fully onboard with started the process to get him a 504 or IEP. She spoke with Ms A, who then, apparently, began the RTI process. I met with his teachers and went over some accommodations they could begin immediately to help him, which they mostly did. His behavior has been fantastic since then, but he's still having issues related to his PDD-NOS and ADHD and anxiety (when he thinks things are hard.)

Everyone I've met with personally (his teachers and the principal) have been great, and totally on board with doing what's necessary to help him, but I don't think Ms A totally understand what I wanted for DS... hopefully she's got it now. My concern isn't just for today, it's for the long haul. It's for standardized testing in the spring. It's for success in the G&T program. It's for possibly grade acceleration in certain subjects. I know, and his teachers seem to agree he's capable of so much more than he's doing right now, but he's going to need some support in terms of specific language that's used with him, with organization and reminders, as well as time accommodations on tests if necessary.

Having teachers providing accommodations is great and it's great he's doing well. Now is the time to document what works! Go over all the diagnoses and problems that have come from that and how far you've come with the right help and how much you appreciate that school has made it work for him. And then get it down on your IEP or 504.

This is exactly what I was thinking! Let's write it all down and make it official!

~amy
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Great doc there, thanks for the link! I'm sure Texas, or my local ISD has something online. I'll dig around.

I emailed DS's main teacher again today to ask her to pretty pretty please get DS writing in his planner. He hasn't written in it once this week! Today is a storybook parade they got to dress up for, but he never gave me any teacher notes, nothing in his planner, etc. I sent him with a costume, so hopefully he got to change once he got to school. I hate all this never being sure of what's going on at school nonsense!

~amy
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM