Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    G
    OnlineG3 teaches MCT grammar and vocab and they do it well. My daughter loves the literature classes there in particular. Online3G.com.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Val
    Re: Market failure.
    Ergo, it's really not a free market and rules that work for jeans and sneakers don't work well in public education.

Agreed, it's not a free market. However, it's untrue that market dynamics can't be applied to a public industry with dampened price signals. They can be, but the price multiplier effects would be distorted by the disconnect between payor and consumer. Narrow that disconnect and you achieve more efficient outcomes.

One way to do this would be to make private education amounts fully tax deductible on an achievement and needs basis, with lump sum subsidies to top up low income households. Voila! Equal access, not equal outcome, like the current system is designed to achieve.

Then the issue at hand becomes how to scalably address the long tail that is the gifted market at cost parity. It's that cost parity under the public system that may be problematic because of the lack of agglomeration economies in the gifted world.

PS. Feel free to PM me to chop this comment if you feel it derails the central discussion. It's not my intent to hijack!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Also, thanks for starting this thread. Val-uable information! wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    G
    G
    Thanks for the review of CTS's online AP course, Val. Unfortunately, I've heard numerous complaints about AP courses lately, both online and B&M. What I hear from friends in the schools: The classes aren't so intellectually challenging as they are time-management-challenging. IE loads and loads of homework. In classrooms, teachers present the material as easily digestible power point slides with little mind expanding discussion. I'm suspecting many if not most of the AP courses are basically just test-prep vehicles, and the emphasis on memorizing testable facts is the nature of the beast. A beast we've all helped to create with our desires to give our kids a leg up and get ahead of the game. When choosing a history course for our kids, maybe we are forced to choose between depth and quality or potential college credit -- if we're lucky and have these choices. Considering how expensive college is these days, it's a darn difficult choice, and it feels unfair. However, considering what standardized test graders are paid and the amount of time they spend on each test, I'm not sure we'll see any major changes -- at least not without a significant cost attached. And there we get into some tricky business --- but my mother taught me that ladies don't discuss economics wink I have some great cookie recipes, though!

Kitty

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...