Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with M3, Mentoring Mathematical Minds out of U Conn? Our school district is recommending this for enrichment.
    Thanks.
    Lucy

T
    thx1138 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    OP, you sould rightly frustrated. I have not been impressed by any online math instruction. It can work as supplement or as a toy, but not to replace instruction. Instruction happens best in person. Do you have some time each week to site with your kids? You might want to look into getting some Singapore workbooks instead if you feel as though the schools can't or won't educate your kids appropriately.
    If I sound frustrated here, you should see my other posts about Gifted Deniers...

Anyway folks here is what I'm doing. We went with Mathletics. Its based on Flash. The minus is no Flash on iPad (but they may be developing a custom app for the future). The plus is it is more graphical and manipulative than ALEKS.

I generally sit with my kids and work through it with them. Though, they seem to take the ball and run with it and do Mathletics on their own more and more. A tad easier to use than ALEKS.

FWIW my experience is we barely need the explanations anyway. I feel like both my DD6 and DS5 can do all the work up through 5th grade. We just need the software to delineate and organize the topics that cover that. And drill them a bit. I guess my approach is to give them the big picture even if we are losing some drills and depth on that. I mean for GT parents and their GT kids, how hard can this stuff be right? For example, now that we raced ahead to prime numbers, which is normally not taught until like 4th or 5th grade, that helps them understand simplifying fractions back on the 2nd grade material. Or, memorizing the times table early makes a lot of the earlier material easier and make more sense.

Last edited by thx1138; 10/03/12 12:33 PM.
    T
    thx1138 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Can people post the links to the U Conn and the Khan material, and Alcumus? Is it...
    http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/projectm3/
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Alcumus/Introduction.php
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/03/12/khan-academyl-this-ipad-app/

If I ran 2 kids 12 months, EPGY would be $4000, ALEKS $300, and Mathletics $200.

I'm not sure what is meant by comprehensive. Does it mean more drills? I think in lieu of comprehensive, I just keep feeding them more advanced grades material. I suppose I want them to race ahead to see the big picture.

This gets into questions of what and how to teach GT kids and I'm getting out of my depth. I mean in a few years I'd rather give them the Spivak Calculus text. "the only math book with a plot". That is the depth approach. I'd love to find a depth approach, a Spivak approach, an honors math, for the K - 12 maths.

http://www.amazon.com/Calculus-4th-Michael-Spivak/dp/0914098918

A
    A
    Originally Posted by thx1138
    I'd love to find a depth approach, a Spivak approach, an honors math, for the K - 12 maths.

AOPS, maybe.

We've used ixl.com for the past year and a half or so. DD5 liked it at first, and I liked it because it was something she could do independently. Now, I kinda hate it. It's a chore to get her to work on any of it and she wastes time and pretends she doesn't know how to do the problems. (She'll do the same kind of stuff in a workbook without any trouble.)

I think the biggest issue is you can't adjust the number of problems to give the student. It claims to automatically adapt to the child's proficiency level, but I don't see that it does much of that at all. I'm finding that it just gives her TOO many problems in each concept even when she's getting them all right. I'd like her to get a little sampler of the most challenging problems in each concept but there's not really any way to make it do that.

The nice thing about IXL is you can try any concept at any grade level at any time.

Edited to add: Just posting about this has inspired me to go to IXL right now and play through most of the problems myself... now DD has only the last 10 problems for each concept left in the grade she's working on. Seems like plenty of practice to me, and it'll give her more if she gets one wrong.

Last edited by W'sMama; 10/04/12 04:45 PM.
    U
    U
    Originally Posted by thx1138
    If I ran 2 kids 12 months, EPGY would be $4000, ALEKS $300, and Mathletics $200.

If you can get into an EPGY open enrollment group (I saw one forming on this board about a month ago), it's a lot cheaper -- around $150/year/kid. You don't get a tutor, and it's only an option for K-7 and non-honors Algebra, but might be an option worth considering.

H
    H
    Originally Posted by W'sMama
    We've used ixl.com for the past year and a half or so. DD5 liked it at first, and I liked it because it was something she could do independently. Now, I kinda hate it. It's a chore to get her to work on any of it and she wastes time and pretends she doesn't know how to do the problems. (She'll do the same kind of stuff in a workbook without any trouble.)

That's my experience with DS3 as well.

He doesn't work well with drilling for some reasons.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM