Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    G
    G
    She's doing fine in school. She has no gaps. To me this means you don't need to pile on more to bring her up to her potential as measured by the IQ.

She's verbally gifted, and doesn't care for how math's being presented at school. I wouldn't add more of the same in hopes of improving the situation. How about working with the talent instead?

Check out books like the Sir Cumference series, read The Number Devil together, Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar, listen to The Math Dude's podcasts, and watch the Art Benjamin Joy of Math videos (we got these at the public library, but otherwise they go on deep discount ~twice a year).

These won't augment the 2nd and 3rd grade skills, but they'll make math interesting or entertaining, and it will help develop mathematical thinking.

I agree with GeoIzz, when my verbal super reader, super science kid, was showing o Interest in math, it finally dawned on me with some help from here, that he needed to be reached from his comfort zone - so books, stories, first like the ones Geofizz recommended then progressed to the murderous maths. I also just heard Danica McKeller on the radio talking about her books for the tween set - the first one is called math doesn't suck and seems to be trying to reach girls where they are and throw math into that, sounded really good but might not be where your dd is right now.

DeHe

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks, DeHe and geofizz. I agree with the idea of not wanting to pile on extra work--I've already conceptually fought that fight with people who think it's OK that she's bored for 6-1/2 hours a day at school and then gets to come home and be "enriched" instead of being a kid. I like the idea of surreptitiously building mathematical thinking. I'm going to check some of those media out!

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    Agree with GeoFizz on the books mentioned, especially! The Number Devil; great read, and throw in some very fun Math videos such as those from Vy Hart! (sometimes it is great to just see a picture of a young woman doing math, with BALLOON animals, to open a kid's eyes).
    http://vihart.com/doodling/
    I love 'Stars', and the mobius strip video. Cool stuff.
    http://vihart.com/balloons/

R
    R
    Maybe not this year, but my verbally gifted (& gifted at problem solving but not computation) LOVED the Danica McKellar math books when she was in 3rd grade.

Y
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    Y
    Math has always been DD's favorite subject. She's not gifted but interested in it. She loves to compete on beestar GT math program with other kids from a lot of other states and has so much fun. I admire the incentive mechanism.
    Lisa

University of Cambridge (UK) http://orbit.educ.cam.ac.uk/wiki/OER_teacher_education_resources - has some OERs (open educational resources - FREE) that you might have considered for primary/elementary math and secondary/high school

I've got no idea why they don't include
    http://www.oercommons.org/ or other OERs/MOOCs except that it's probably trying to simplify the situation.

I'd also suggest the book Number Devil too or Hoagie's site (http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/math.htm).

M
    M

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM