Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by stacy
    The good thing is he really enjoyed taking the IQ test (he said it was easy...probably was...he just wasn't fast enough) so that may help motivate him to do it again.
    Oh, one other thing re this. Just so you know, the only parts of the WISC that are timed are the block design and the PSI subtests (coding and symbol search) so taking a long time would not depress scores on any other parts unless the tester just decided that he didn't know the answers and moved on. From what I recall, the SB-V is even less timed than that and speed should not be an issue on that. It may have just been a case of poor rapport this time around.

Since you also mention the possibility of ADD, my 2e kid is HG and has ADD. They typical pattern for ADD on the WISC, from what I understand, is to have lower WMI scores as well as lower PSI scores. This report from the publisher gives typical score patterns for various disabilities although it, unfortunately, does not include how these look when both gifted and the disability are in play:

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I'm curious whether the other poster (polarbear?) with the dyspraxic child found that it impacted symbol search and block design as well. I'd guess that it would which is why I'd be less likely to go to 2e, but I could be wrong. Polarbear??

That's me with the dyspraxic ds. I couldn't remember for sure about the scores! So I looked them up to be certain... my ds' processing speed subtest scores on the WISC were:

Coding 8
    Symbol Search 11
    Cancellation 11

These are all very statistically lower than his other subtest scores. He hit the hard hard ceiling on Block Design (didn't miss any). Although block design is also a timed test, it involves manipulating blocks (if I remember correctly), which is a different type of fine motor skill than the timed processing subtests - they rely on hand/eye/pencil coordination, and is one of the areas that my ds' dypraxia is the most severe.

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    my point on the last paragraph is that I would not assume that he has a learning disability just b/c the scores were lower than expected. 2e usually presents with more significant scatter than overall depressed numbers.

I agree with Cricket2 on this point, and even with a large large large discrepancy wouldn't assume an LD. However, the 5 for coding is relatively low, and I think SDMom noted her ds is slower than she expects to produce work - putting those two together might indicate a challenge with processing speed even though the other scores aren't in the gifted range.

I also agree with Cricket re the tester - my ds has never been seen by a psych who specializes in gifted children, but that hasn't depressed any of his scores (as far as I know!), and the patterns in his subtests plus his overall IQ scores have come out very close together each time he's been tested.

polarbear

C
    C
    Pardon my mix up! I meant to edit something for clarity on my other post, not quote the entire thing and add a new post! Apparently I'm not having the best day to showcase my capacity either - lol!

Last edited by Cricket2; 08/31/12 05:42 PM.
    You know best about your child, he's still the same kid. Maybe this sounds 'naive' but I'd just assume the test result is not accurate and move on; if there are reasons to retest like school programs you are interested for him, etc., then consider retesting when it is feasible to do so.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM