Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Are they close to the real questions? And do you score one point for each question or how do they convert the raw score to the final 1-25 points?

Hi
    I can't tell you for sure, but according to DS the practice questions are easier than the actual test. Of course, it is the perception of a 12 yr old that took the test 2 years ago.

As far as scoring goes, it is not a one point per Question as the sections have anywhere from 28 to 40 questions each.

Jtooit

A
    A
    The conversion is done differently for each version of the test.

My DD did far better than I'd anticipated, based on the sample questions. She had no interest in even looking at the sample questions, though, and is generally diligent in an actual test environment.

I will say that her kid-perception did not map to actual test results. One section, she answered all 30 questions, said she thought she got them all right, and scored a 19. One section, she answered 22 of 28, said she guessed on almost all of them, and scored a 19.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you. I also thought the practice questions are easier than the actual test as my DD10 breezed through with 2 wrong out of 45. Note she is basically an athlete spending far less time on math than juggling soccer ball or gym matts.

D
    D
    The book you get when you register for the test also seems (by DS's report) to be somewhat easier than the actual test, but it's nice to look at for the style of the questions and the kinds of things that might be asked. He didn't do the online ones, ran through the paper practice test once (in four separate short sittings, one sitting for each topic) and then took the EXPLORE. He's not a big prep kind of guy.

DeeDee

C
    C
    My dd thought the online questions were the same as the mailed sample test. Also according to dd, we were mailed the same sample test two years in a row. So of course she had all the sample test answers memorized. Snort.

Warning: sleep deprived
    according to DS, real Explore test is much more difficult than sample test.

B
    B
    The official SAT guide from the College Board has questions from past exams, with the difficulty stated on a scale from 1 to 5 IIRC. Does the official ACT guide do something similar? The ACT and Explore are produced by the same organization, and I wonder if the easier questions on the ACT are at the same level as Explore questions.

M
    M
    I will say that her kid-perception did not map to actual test results. One section, she answered all 30 questions, said she thought she got them all right, and scored a 19. One section, she answered 22 of 28, said she guessed on almost all of them, and scored a 19.

My only caveat to your thoughts above would be to not assume that she was very off. If, as I suspect, she thought that the reading was easy and she scored a 19, she only missed two questions out of the 30. My son had the same reading score and at first I assumed it was a bit of a weakness, but our school district had posted some answers about the EXPLORE for 8th grade parents and this was the answer re: "my son only missed two questions, how did he end up with a 19?"ACT uses an equipercentile equating methodology and smoothing procedure that results in Explore subscale scores that have the same meaning across multiple years and forms. In other words, a student that obtains a subscale score of 18 one year is performing at the same academic level as a student that obtains a subscale score of 18 on a different year using a different form. You are correct, this year on the Reading subscale obtaining 28 out of 30 items correct resulted in a Reading subscale score of 19; earning 29 out of 30 items correct resulted in Reading subscale score of 22 and earning 30 out of 30 items correct yielded a Reading subscale score of 25. In the case of this specific subscale with 30 total items, missing one or two questions has in impact in terms of subscale score that is remarkable. This is not an error nor is it necessarily a weakness of this test. As a predictor of future success on the PLAN and ACT the Explore is highly reliable.

M
    M
    I would just add to the chorus that the EXPLORE sample questions are easier than the actual test. My ds10 did very well (made the awards ceremony) but even so, he thought that it was more challenging than the practice questions.
    We didn't do any prep, but if I were going to prep him I'd probably concentrate on ACT prep or maybe SAT quetions of the day; it depends how old she is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM