Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I'd strongly recommend reading the Eidie's http://dyslexicadvantage.com/
    book. They talk about 'non-linear' thinkers in a much broader way than the classic 'Right brain thinkers/VS learners' model. They stress that the key is 'global v. detail' thinkers - and adding that some global thinkers are strongly visual, and some are not. The ones who are strongly global but not visual turn out to be our weak spellers who suffer over the math fact memorization. This fits me well, not sure if it fits the rest of the world, but a useful book I think.

Thanks for that - I'm going to look into it.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by DMA
    The characteristics you mentioned sound like my son, who is gifted/LD. The list you posted sounds like a list from Dyslexic Advantage for a child with Stealth Dyslexia. Many of the characteristics also show up on other Dyslexia sites.

I am going to echo the other posters - please get your son tested privately. We did private pyscho-educational testing in order to get an IEP, extended time on tests and the use of a computer for writing essays. This really helps with his writing, and an area that was a weakness is turning into a strength as ds gets older.

Some of the group testing instruments miss gifted/LD kids because they may think differently or don't work fast enough to finish. My school board did some research on a number of group tests and decided to keep administering the WISC-4 in order to identify the gifted kids, because of the high number of false negatives on the group tests.

I just looked up stealth dyslexia. That is interesting! I'll discuss that with the tester if we go ahead with private testing - which it seems we should. Thanks!

I love the concepr of stealth dyslexia but my understanding is that few tester will even have heard of it. There are a few concepts that are quite useful and true that aren't widely understood. Readiness to learn levels, levels of giftedness and bottlenecks are 3 others that come to mind.
    Love and more love
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm particularly curious about stealth dyslexia now that I've read more about it.

I've just booked a private assessment for late October. Hopefully we'll come out with some useful information.

Thanks again for your insight(s).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...