Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 177 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    G
    G
    Reading your post I just wonder if it's more a fear about dying than a fear specifically about cancer? My dd6 is only just becoming able to control her anxiety about death, but it has been an issue for her on and off for a long time. We speak honestly about it (yes it will happen, these are the things that you can do to be healthy, etc) and at a counsellor's suggestion, focus on the future - which seems to help. Of course I might be completely off track - but I just wonder, if it sounds like it might be a possibility, if dealing with that fear directly might do more to resolve it?

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    Originally Posted by CCN
    I don't mean to take away from the suffering of those who have lost loved ones to the aggressive forms of cancer - it can be devastating - it's just that there are other, less terrifying sides to cancer that you can talk to your daughter about).

My mother died of cancer. That took about 7 years.

I deal with cancer people all the time. Most of the people I see are disabled from the chemotherapy.

Social Security has a listing of the severe cancers that grant automatic disability, basically because they are likely to result in death.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disab...0-NeoplasticDiseases-Malignant-Adult.htm

I don't have any advice on how to study the cancer issue.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Giftodd
    Reading your post I just wonder if it's more a fear about dying than a fear specifically about cancer?

I also wondered if a fear of dying might be what's beneath the surface anxiety over cancer - once I read your mention of severe food allergies. My dd10 has multiple life-threatening food allergies, and she's had some scary reactions. FWIW, the age around 5-6 years old was the time that anxiety over allergic reactions and fear over them really ramped up. I don't have any great advice re how to deal with that, but wanted to let you know that it later ramped down in a *huge* way once dd had been through the first few years of elementary school.

Anyway, might be totally off-point, but just thought I'd mention it!

polarbear

M
    Mom2277 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    You all are the BEST! Thank you so much! It hadn't occurred to me before, but anxiety over death likely is driving her intense interest in cancer. She has had multiple anaphylactic reactions. She knows she has severe food allergies. She has been struggling a great deal over how food allergies make her different and how much they impact her life. She's never directly expressed fear over dying from an allergic reaction, but she must feel afraid. It would make sense that the fear of death would be expressed indirectly as an obsessive interest in/fear of cancer. I think I may try re-directing her to information that might help her feel more control over her food allergies and making sure she understands our plans for keeping her safe. For instance, I think I'll make sure she knows the signs of anaphylaxis and when an Epi Pen should be used and let her practice with expired Epi Pens on an orange. All those would be efforts to help her feel more in control, but my watch words are that adults must be responsible for her care and that a small child cannot be expected to manage life-threatening food allergies.

I, too, am an anxiety-prone worrier. Information is how I survive. I try to learn as much as I can, and I make plans. I think it's an adaptive approach. I think I'll just try to make sure I'm giving her information about both food allergies, which I think people have correctly identified as driving her cancer-interest, as well as cancer.

Thanks so much again!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs