Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    U
    U
    The K-3 (K-3??) Mensa list is a bit odd, IMO. Alice in Wonderland is reallllly at a whole different level than the Carrot Seed. Maybe that's the idea, but huh.

Along the same lines as The Ghost Map, my DD recently really loved Wicked bugs: the louse that conquered Napoleon's army & other diabolical insects by Amy Stewart. Similar in content and theme.

Another recommendation to go along with the above list--

The ALA's Newbery award books

I heartily recommend the ALA's award booklists. The Newbery books offer an enormous range and a view of children's literature that is matchless in scope. It's a tantalizing look at what experts in the genre deemed the "finest" examples published in each year... and this definition has certainly changed in the past ninety years! It's equally fascinating (and a higher-order activity-- bonus) to read the 'honor' books alongside the gold medal winner for a year, and discuss what it was about the winner that made it stand above the others.

Many of the Newbery winners are completely content-suitable for children under eight; that is a real bonus since the early selections have that same lovely quality of deeper writing. Writing that doesn't read like the next step up from phonetically controlled easy-readers (since those didn't exist then). Writing that asks the reader to explore language and metaphor, to visualize and imagine.

But at the same time, these books are, by and large, for and about children. smile I love that juxtaposition; it takes a masterful or gifted author to write for pre-adolescent children in an authentic way.

DD, now 13, has read most of the Newbery medalists, and many of the honor books.

Another idea-- pick an author and read his/her works. We read George MacDonald's works (well, what is still in print) one summer. It's easy to see why it is endures.

Oh-- Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide is one of DD's favorite books of all time. That's lovely summer reading for gifties ages 8-15.

For slightly older kids, there are adult fiction series that use some literary classics as a jumping off point. Alan Gordon's Fool's Guild series uses Shakespeare and world history in a fun and innovative way (and the series is pretty devoid of sex and profanity), and there is another that uses, of all things, the world of Beatrix Potter! DD and I have both enjoyed this type of book a lot during her pre-teen years. This is an awkward age for EG/PG kids, since they can read whatever they wish, but there is little written for them in particular. Children's literature is stilted and hobbled by vocabulary and sentence structure which is unedifying, to say the least, and young adult and adult fiction all seems to contain content which is flatly inappropriate for most nine or ten year olds.

More general observation on the subject of reading and book lists...
    While I don't argue against inclusion of really good quality literature for children and adults alike, I'm also of the opinion that there is no such thing as a bad book. Mostly. I love books, and so does everyone else in my family. (Hey-- there's a new book for everyone-- the history OF the book!! No, really-- Books: a living history by Martyn Lyons. I have it checked out right now. Along with thirty-four others. blush )

Okay, so we probably aren't as discriminating as some people about this sort of thing. I consider summer to be a time for self-indulgence as much as self-improvement. Laissez-faire time, if you will. As long as DD is passionately pursuing some interest that isn't harmful, we're happy with that. I think of summer as a time to rekindle the lust for reading-- to remind kids WHY they love to read. Heaven knows schools seem to do all they can to stifle that understanding during the year...

DD (then 9? 10?) one summer read at least 30 Nancy Drew mysteries, at least half a dozen Trixie Belden mysteries, several astronomy books, one about how to build wacky spy contraptions from household stuff, along with a variety of very tongue-in-cheek books about the Zombie apocolypse and survival planning, which led to The Serpent and the Rainbow (we simply had it on a bookshelf, but she abandoned it mid-way through at the time)... then followed that up with Great Expectations and finished up with Oliver Twist.

That's not that unusual for her, by the way-- thus my statement that I tend to take a hands-off approach with her.

DD's summer reading so far this year has consisted of a variety of non-fiction, mostly contemporary current affairs or political science, legal thrillers (a la John Grisham), and quite a few fanciful Dan Brown-like conspiracy thrillers in addition to the Manga that her friends all love. She loves high fantasy, but has run out of material that isn't overtly sexualized beyond her tastes; the Xanth novels are sly about it and she likes those, but they are not particularly well-written past the fourth or fifth one, either, and she's definitely noticed. It's unfortunate, because she loves the puns.

At this point, I'm not into limiting what she does read, as long as she's reading in volume and in a fair degree of variety-- which she does all on her own. She has an e-reader and library cards at both the public county library (one of the best in the country for its size) and also the local uni, so she's pretty independent.

We figure that she needs proficiency in cultural idiom and the autonomy to do as she pleases during the summer just as much as she needs additional capital-L Literature. We know that she gets the latter in abundance, and we have a lot of those books just hanging around the house.

I've not used book lists as a "choose something from this menu" tool, but probably because I've not needed to. We've used book lists more as a 'checklist' the way birders use one to build a life list. LOL. She's a kid who has always been a voracious and indiscriminate reader, though, so the real battle is getting her to get her nose OUT of any book she finds.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Oh, and one other caveat about using that 9-12 list in particular?

Be aware that it contains pretty much the entirety of the reading selections for AP English Literature, so if you want to have those selections be NOVEL for a gifted HS student, you might want to choose carefully.

Over the course of DD's three years of honors high school English, she's read at least eight of those already as mandatory literature for class.

(I've deliberately held off on some things like Fitzgerald and Hawthorne so that they will be novel when she sees them in class.)

HTH.

Notice - you won't find Dahl, Mysterious Benedict Society, Captain Underpants, Mr. Men series, or Far Side on these lists. At least Tomie dePaola's, Stega Nona, is on the Mensa K-3 list, but not Art Lesson or Tom. No Pratchett or Pythonese books, of course. Nothing bawdy like Marcia Williams's, illustrated Chaucer book. Didn't see Harry Potter either.

I've noticed with similar reading lists from schools and libraries that tend to select books that are not controversial or have a minimum of it, nothing too funny or subversive either. Though lately there's been controversy on Newberry winners - being selected based on what adults think children will read or should read rather than what may appeal to them.

So what is the message here? You've got to read to increase your vocabulary to ace the SAT or prepare for college - for a means to an end? Perhaps that's fine for some students, but it turns off a lot of students from reading when we force the classics or other books down kids' throats. Why does everything have to be aimed at material gain or success, even reading? Why do we have to 'teach' a moral or lesson through reading (so 19th-century)?

NY Times, UK's Guardian, Amazon, and other reading lists may be more helpful if you have a child who is a reluctant reader or more motivated to read if something is funny.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    So what is the message here? You've got to read to increase your vocabulary to ace the SAT or prepare for college - for a means to an end? Perhaps that's fine for some students, but it turns off a lot of students from reading when we force the classics or other books down kids' throats. Why does everything have to be aimed at material gain or success, even reading? Why do we have to 'teach' a moral or lesson through reading (so 19th-century)?

I guess you won't be buying "Wuthering Heights: A Kaplan SAT Score-Raising Classic" and other books in the Kaplan series smile.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    K
    K
    I guess that I am in cdfox's camp. If you are reading something that you enjoy, you will read more and are more likely to try and figure out those unfamiliar words. My DD12 reads voraciously so I am not worried about her vocabulary. She plowed through The Hunger Games in a few hours and went on to read other books, lots of them, some with advanced vocabulary, some not. If I had told her to read Red Badge of Courage, she probably would still be slogging through it and resenting every minute of it. It's just not her kind of book.

For the record, I hated Wuthering Heights and will tell my kids to avoid it like the plague until they have to read it for a literature class.

I'm chuckling about The Red Badge of Courage. My DD read it for ninth grade English, and yes, it was definitely not her cup of tea, so to speak. She slogged through it anyway, but it was rather like getting her to drink a wheat-grass shake or something. wink I feel this way about both Steinbeck and Hemingway.

DD felt the same way about Walden, much to my amusement. One of the funniest one-liners I've ever heard from her was when she learned that her 11th grade English class would be reading The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail.

"Hmm. {long pause} Jail-- I mean, having read Walden, I can speculate personally that he SHOULD have been incarcerated for writing such self-absorbed, smug, ignorant DRIVEL, so don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering what they charged him with..."

(uhhhh-- wow.)

Notice - you won't find Dahl, Mysterious Benedict Society, Captain Underpants, Mr. Men series, or Far Side on these lists. At least Tomie dePaola's, Stega Nona, is on the Mensa K-3 list, but not Art Lesson or Tom. No Pratchett or Pythonese books, of course. Nothing bawdy like Marcia Williams's, illustrated Chaucer book. Didn't see Harry Potter either.
    The MENSA high school lists are the older version of the NEH lists, and yes, they tend to completely ignore anything published in the last forty years, nevermind anything controversial.

That's another reason why I mentioned the ALA lists. Those kinds of books do (increasingly, anyway) make some of those lists.

Recent publication is hardly a barrier to high quality. The Book Thief (which appears on the modern NEH list for 7-8th) is a fine example. Even Harry Potter can be read as allegorical in much the same way as Lewis' Narnia series.

We've found that many 'fluff' books tend to be "gateway" books. This is how my daughter has wound up reading classics. She read some news articles that led her to the contemporary non-fiction of Michael Pollan, and wound up interested enough to tackle Orwell's 1984, and eventually even Sinclair's master work, The Jungle.

The updated NEH lists are here:

The K-8 list.

and the high school list, also updated;

NEH's college-preparatory reading list This one is largely derived from the College Board's recommendations.

It's helpful to me to remember, when I attempt to parse out what is "Art" versus trashy pop culture...

that to their contemporaries, Dickens and Austen were both writing contemporary popular fiction intended for mass consumption, not posterity. Dickens' work was frankly propoganda in many ways.

With that in mind, I figure if a work of literature or art 'speaks' to a person, then it is meaningful and worthwhile for them personally.

I, um, loved Wuthering Heights. blush

Well, this is it - using 'fluff' as a 'gateway' book. That can work in some cases, but not for others.

Some kids are ready emotionally and developmentally to read classics. Others are not and may never be. Some of us love classical literature; some of us can take it only in small doses; others hate it like the plague.

Printed text has dominated learned discourse. Education has been dominated by print and book learning for hundreds of years. The division between the learned and popular culture has existed since the printing presses. It's not going to go away by forcing kids to read classical literature. In the 17th century, the pulp press regaled readers with witchcraft, cuckolds, miracles, violent crime, and so forth during the English Revolution/Civil War (read Jerome Friedman or Chris Hill's books). Today, well, this has expanded tremendously and beyond print media to television, video, the Internet, etc.

I agree that "if a work of literature or art 'speak' to a person, then it is meaningful and worthwhile for them personally."

Ozzy Osbourne is a very successful musician, whatever any one thinks about him. He also happens to be a severe dyslexic who has written (probably with voice-recognition software) an autobiography that perhaps would appeal much more to reluctant readers than Hawthorne or Hemingway. Now others here can sniff all they like, but Ozzy's a 2e and has an inspiring, captivating story that can motivate a child to read or listen to a story (ie. audio version for dyslexics) more than a classic might. Ozzy might 'speak' to them more and in their language.

Many tend to associate the use of words with intelligence and this can have an adverse effect on an individual and society as a whole. Many associate reading the classics, not reading Ozzy's autobiography, with being erudite and more worthy to prep for the SATs and life (since many are consumed with standardized testing it seems today). That's fine for some gifted students, but not for all or for general population as a whole.

C
    C
    i used this list and assisted my DS8 with choices

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_children%27s_classic_books

Last edited by Cawdor; 06/26/12 09:29 AM.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/b...t-fans-classic-books-get-bold-looks.html
    To Lure ‘Twilight’ Teenagers, Classic Books Get Bold Looks
    By JULIE BOSMAN
    Published: June 27, 2012

Teenagers are still reading the classics. They just don’t want them to look so, well, classic.

That is the theory of publishers who are wrapping books like “Emma” and “Jane Eyre” in new covers: provocative, modern jackets in bold shades of scarlet and lime green that are explicitly aimed at teenagers raised on “Twilight” and “The Hunger Games.”

The new versions are cutting edge replacements for the traditional (read: stuffy, boring) covers that have been a trademark of the classics for decades, those familiar, dour depictions of women wearing frilly clothing. In their place are images like the one of Romeo in stubble and a tight white tank top on a new Penguin edition of “Romeo and Juliet.”

The covers are intended to tap into the soaring popularity of the young-adult genre, the most robustly growing category in publishing. In the last decade, publishers have poured energy and resources into books for teenagers, releasing more titles each year. Bookstores have followed suit, creating and expanding spe-cial sections devoted to them.

Sales of some young-adult versions have been strong. The HarperCollins edition of “Wuthering Heights” has sold 125,000 copies since it was released in 2009, an extraordinary number that sent the book back to the best-seller lists.

Because titles like “Pride and Prejudice” and “Persuasion” are in the public domain, any publisher can release a version, leaving the text inside the books untouched while redesigning the cover. And for the young-adult reader, publishers are scooping up all the material they can find.

Now the new versions of the classics are fighting for space on the young-adult shelves of bookstores. In a Barnes & Noble in Manhattan last week, a display featured four new editions of novels by Jane Austen and the Brontë sisters alongside more contemporary offerings of paranormal romances. (Upstairs in the adult-fiction section, more traditional versions of the classics were lined up on the shelves.)

At the Book Revue bookstore in Huntington, N.Y., new versions of the classics have sold briskly, surprising the store’s owner, Julie Klein.

If I can get my kids to read good literature by buying books with cool covers, I will. Once you've spent money on summer camps and private lessons, books seem pretty cheap.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM