Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (P92), 287 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Sorry for any confusion.  Awkward.
    Again, I don't know how old your child is or how much of a hinderence the low working memory is at this point, but, education does make kids smarter.  Working on the basics of grammer, arithmatic, and writing essays, the sluggish parts of education, provides a framework for manipulating and directing information for use in your thinking.  
    I'm sure that since you're worried about WM he is most probably not eager to work extra on reading writing and 'rithmatic.  Those kinds of lessons take away a lot of the difficulty that makes these lessons difficult.  

Here some people discuss low working memory, slow processing speed as it relates between the test results and guiding your child.
    http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1341396/wisc-iv-working-memory-and-processing-speed

This following  link shows upon skimming it that low working memory shows up in some kids as math disability.  
    http://web.missouri.edu/~gearyd/JECP04.pdf
    Quote:
    With formal schooling and especially with complex problems, such as 27 + 38, children will use the commonly taught columnar strategy (i.e., summing the ones-column integers and then summing the tens-column integers).
    Children with MD. During the solving of simple arithmetic problems (e.g., 4 + 3), children with MD use the same types of strategies (e.g., verbal counting) as their nor- mally achieving peers, but differ in the strategy mix, strategy accuracy, and in the pat- tern of developmental change 

Unquote.

The working memory problem in that case is knowing which addition strategy to use.  The working memory challenge: how to create the  knowledge & skills bank so they can begin to map the memory process when they have started off with a comparatively low working memory? I said comparatively low.  Since you are posting on a gifted forum I assume you're referring to the not uncommon  issue of low working memory and/or processing speed paired with high reasoning abilities.  

I've read that in that type of situation it's better to make use of tools to teach at the higher conceptional level matching the reasoning abilities, for example allowing a multiplication chart for reference while teaching long division, which uses multiplication, instead of waiting for the total memorization of the multiplication table.

I'm not suggesting you "do all this" I'm repeating things i've read discussing this hoping it might be helpful understanding how some people are talking about these problems.    iow many of these things are self correcting as you continue to pursue an education.  It can't always be self correcting because otherwise why would it be a widely identified problem.  

I like the description on page one of the following link describing the memory process.
    http://www.yorku.ca/earmstro/courses/2nd_yr/memorization_and_practice.pdf

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    La Texican, thanks for the info and your thoughts. My son at issue is 6 1/2. Oddly, he does well in reading and math comprehension etc. But you're right - he is not eagar to work on them (though he loves to be read to) (however much of that could be attriuted to his vision problem and his hypotonia, which is why when those issues are treated the attention and WM improve). But surprishingly he does really well in them - hhe is scoring ahead of his peers at school. He has great long term memory. But is the spacey kid - the kind you can say "go brush your teeth, put on your clothes then come down and put on your shoes and don't forget to bring your socks with you!" And then you find him making up a story in the bathroom with nothing done - maybe he got his teeth brushed. And he'll be like "Oh I forgot what did you want me to do again?" LOL

So hglad to hear maturity and edication help!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks for the links too!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    "you're referring to the not uncommon issue of low working memory and/or processing speed paired with high reasoning abilities."

Yes!

Z
    Z
    Hi, just saw this thread and wanted to add a piece to the puzzle. Working memory is a shared space for all the conscious/near-conscious stuff going on in the mind.

If your child is curious, analytical, and creative then what may really be going on is they are running a good percentage of their working memory on entertaining thoughts and looking for deeper understandings.

If my basic wm has 9 good buckets in it, I may have two working on something curious I saw earlier. If you ask me to remember 7 numbers, I may eat another bucket or two noticing patterns between the numbers rather than just the mundane dropping them into the buckets. Suddenly I seem to have only five buckets!

So maybe intentional and active focus are the skills that need support and not so much memory itself. Many non-educational games like time management ones (e.g. run your own restaurant) can support that type of focus.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Hi, just saw this thread and wanted to add a piece to the puzzle. Working memory is a shared space for all the conscious/near-conscious stuff going on in the mind.

If your child is curious, analytical, and creative then what may really be going on is they are running a good percentage of their working memory on entertaining thoughts and looking for deeper understandings.

Zen, thank you. I do believe this may be what's going on with my DS6. He is constantly creating. He always writing stories in his head. He has "witten" books with over 20 chapters. He dictates them I type them verbatium (incidentally his books are actually good - on par with patterson - complicated sci fi plots invoving time travel, etc ) . He is very very creative. He is often making up stories in his head to dictate to me later. I think that is takign up a lot of WM space. Also he does have a vision disorder so I assume that compensating mfor that may be taking up space as well.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    If my basic wm has 9 good buckets in it, I may have two working on something curious I saw earlier. If you ask me to remember 7 numbers, I may eat another bucket or two noticing patterns between the numbers rather than just the mundane dropping them into the buckets. Suddenly I seem to have only five buckets!

Also, if he sees/hears/notices something he doesn't understand, he keeps it in his head and has a hard time moving on to another task or attending to another task until he has figured whatever it is out. I notice this with him a lot. He has actually started saying it to us.... "wait! I need to go aback and understand what you were saying in your conversation about [such and such] befroe I can do [x]" And it is usually and adult matter that he shouldn;t be listeing to....LOL

Last edited by marytheres; 07/21/12 10:21 AM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    So maybe intentional and active focus are the skills that need support and not so much memory itself. Many non-educational games like time management ones (e.g. run your own restaurant) can support that type of focus.

Can you elaborate on this? I am not familar with this game. Are there other games and programs that work this type of skil? Are there ways to help with this in every day life? Thanks again!

I was talking to the pre-k teacher briefly during a soccer game last year and she said she can clearly tell which kids played a lot of video games because they were better at problem solving puzzles and cutting with scissors. She obviously meant non-educational games.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    I'm convinced that in kids, this is at least partly a maturation issue.

Anyway.

Someone asked about "multi-tasking" or time-management video gaming. Most of these types of games are of the simulation variety, and they tend to be marketed to girls more than to boys. I have a few suggestions there that I know are reasonably appealing and good for this sort of thing.

Coolmath has a couple of these as little flash player games-- Lemonade Stand is the classic, but there are many variants of it:

http://www.coolmath-games.com/lemonade/index.html
    http://www.coolmath-games.com/0-coffee-shop/index.html
    http://www.coolmath-games.com/0-papas-freezeria/index.html

Those will probably keep kids under 6 busy for quite some time.

One game that my DD was obsessive about when she was 6-8 yo was the "PetVet" series. They were bargain priced even then, but it looks like now they are bundled with three games for under ten bucks via Amazon.

I actually recommend the Pet Vet games. There is a lot to keep track of while the game is running. Frankly, I found it challenging at the higher levels, too. grin Be aware that there is a distinctly 'girly' feel about things, though-- the "vet" is a young blonde woman, and many of the decor choices are pink, purple, etc. It may also be upsetting to some very sensitive kids, as the animals can become "ill" or even (gasp) die... if you don't successfully manage to take care of them.

Some of the "Sim-" and "Tycoon" games also have this time-management quality about them-- it's a matter of constant tinkering with several things at once. Juggling tasks and goals, planning, that kind of thing.

Be warned that this sort of addictive video game may lead to table gaming, entrepreneurial scheming, and RPG time while they hang out with the RPG gamers during adolescence, however. wink (D&D has really branched out, I must say... but it's still the same kind of geeky kids playing. Mine included. LOL. )

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM