Originally Posted by TigerM
Has anyone used the extended norm scores for the WISC?
Do they really have any weighting? Do the extended norm scores count or are they just there to shock you! lol
Does she really need those numbers or shall we just keep the percentile which is the same? The GAI improved by 12 points and the FSIQ by 8.
Is it worth asking her Psych to do the scores officially and put them in the report?

This is a great question. About 10 years ago, everyone was used to the super High IQ test scores, and thought 140 on a WISC was 'no big deal' - and that was frustrating.

Lately, most folks have gotten the idea that scores in the low 140s on WISC IV are a very big deal.

I have no idea how folks will react to the new extended norm scores - but if it has 'shock value' maybe it will help someone understand the frustration of LDs and Bottlenecks. We'll have to wait and see. Apparently WISC V is coming soon.

I call this the 'new coke/old coke' problem. I always check the publishing dates on books about High IQ kids to see if the scoring is likely to refer to the old 'wow it's 190' plan or the newer 'wow it's 145' plan. I don't know of anything published that even refers to the extended scores.

Time will tell.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com