Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Michaela
    I guess I kinda think most people for whom your approach works must somehow be doing a whole lot more than just that. I just don't know what, and I'm not sure even the people who do know what it is...

I'm not quite sure what you mean there, but as I said, it worked for mine but may be entirely the wrong approach for yours.

Hope you find something that fits - it sounds exhausting.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    For my son when he was two/three, street and parking lot rules were laid out with a big dose of fear/reality. I found a big SUV parked in a parking lot and had him stand at the bumpers. He could easily see how the driver can't see him. I also pointed out dented cars and we talked about the force/strength/power necessary to bend the metal. He quickly put it together that his 40lb. squishy body would not handle a collision well.
    At four, he is very careful in parking lots and crossing the street.

Originally Posted by ABQMom
    And by the same token, you immediately remove a freedom when he ignores your request. "I asked you to come, and instead of showing me how you could be responsible, you ran away. That isn't ok, because it meant I had to run after you and that you were paying more attention to running away than to being safe. And because of that, I am going to carry you to the car because I can't trust that you'll stay by me where you are safe from the traffic."

My daughter would have considered being carried across the parking lot a reward, not a punishment.

Originally Posted by Dude
    My daughter would have considered being carried across the parking lot a reward, not a punishment.
    Lots of gifted kids experience most of what passes for punishment as a reward. We might be yelling or spanking or weeping or barking - but it's all so very exciting and interesting. Like candy for our intense little ones.

Have you even found that you can't stop wiggling a sore tooth? Even painful experiences can be rewards.

People sure are complicated, eh?
    wink
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Lots of gifted kids experience most of what passes for punishment as a reward. We might be yelling or spanking or weeping or barking - but it's all so very exciting and interesting. Like candy for our intense little ones.

Have you even found that you can't stop wiggling a sore tooth? Even painful experiences can be rewards.

People sure are complicated, eh?
    wink
    Grinity

I don't see this as a gifted thing. In general, kids love being carried. It's like a carnival ride, with a dose of close human contact added in.

E
    E
    Grinity had a good point that making parents crazy can often be reward for kids...much like the way teasing a big sister is fun despite the fact the teasing is usually followed by a hard punch. I know Transforming the Difficult Child has been mentioned on these boards before. I like to combine the concepts of Dr. Phelan's no-talking, no-emotion approach (123 Magic series) and the ideas from Howard Glasser about a "difficult" child's motivation for misbehavior.

I also see Dude's point that this is true of all kids...some more than others.

W
    W
    Last week DD tried a fast one, which would have brought a watching parent to tears. I told her I knew what was up and explained why and wherefore. Then I got to real remorse from her.

It was a good one though.

Motivation for misbehavior? I don't think that is so tough to figure out for any child.

Ren

B
    B
    I don't see this as a gifted thing. In general, kids love being carried. It's like a carnival ride, with a dose of close human contact added in.

I distinctly remember faking to be asleep on the couch at bedtime sometimes when I was little so my father would carry me upstairs. He probably knew I was faking but I rarely if ever had "alone time" with him so I suppose I admit, I manipulated the whole thing, and he indulged.

I was getting more desparate with the dashing toward the street thing with DD (and she was a strong and successful wiggler-awayer) and did the trying-to-scare her with being little and getting squished, and a neighbor with 4 grown girls told me he really disapproved,that every child would learn this when they were ready. Then I felt super guilty like I had now scarred her for life. Be calm and it not might sink in, be too dramatic you scar them or they just get into the drama...I still think that creating situations where they feel freedom but they are secretly safe is a good way to go.

Originally Posted by Evemomma
    Grinity had a good point that making parents crazy can often be reward for kids...much like the way teasing a big sister is fun despite the fact the teasing is usually followed by a hard punch. I know Transforming the Difficult Child has been mentioned on these boards before. I like to combine the concepts of Dr. Phelan's no-talking, no-emotion approach (123 Magic series) and the ideas from Howard Glasser about a "difficult" child's motivation for misbehavior.
    Yup - we started with 123 Magic, with was better, in our hands, at halting unwanted behavior than creating wanted behavior, and then moved on to Transforming with Glasser. I found that much better at working with the 'insides' to grow the child so that he could start that 'virtuous cycle' that good bahavior brings.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by bzylzy
    I distinctly remember faking to be asleep on the couch at bedtime sometimes when I was little so my father would carry me upstairs. He probably knew I was faking but I rarely if ever had "alone time" with him so I suppose I admit, I manipulated the whole thing, and he indulged.

LOL. The three of us often snuggle together in my bed at night to watch a movie. When the movie is over and it's time for DD to go to bed, she'll pretend to be asleep. I'll pretend she's a little baby and I don't want to wake her, then handle her in ways guaranteed to wake the dead (sling her over my shoulder fireman's style, etc.), and dump her rudely into bed. She keeps her eyes closed the whole time, and fails to fully suppress her grin.

Originally Posted by bzylzy
    I was getting more desparate with the dashing toward the street thing with DD (and she was a strong and successful wiggler-awayer) and did the trying-to-scare her with being little and getting squished, and a neighbor with 4 grown girls told me he really disapproved,that every child would learn this when they were ready. Then I felt super guilty like I had now scarred her for life. Be calm and it not might sink in, be too dramatic you scar them or they just get into the drama...I still think that creating situations where they feel freedom but they are secretly safe is a good way to go.

It depends on the child's personality. It's certainly possible that a child will be scarred by this information, and it's up to you to figure out if that's a potential problem or not. I would expect that to be a small minority, though. The world is a scary place for little ones, and if they're noticing things to be afraid of and nobody is talking about them, that can lead to some serious anxiety problems.

We explained to DD why it was important to hold our hands... drivers can't see her, she's not fully aware of her surroundings, etc. And then we explained why holding our hands mattered... drivers can see us, we're always scanning for potential dangers, and by keeping contact we can stop her or pull her along depending on the situation.

And here's why this is a really good conversation to have... she's learning a lot more than just parking lot behavior here. There's an underlying subtext in this conversation, in which she learns that her parents are smart, they're anticipating dangers, and she can trust us to keep her safe. So although the conversation starts out quite alarming, the end result is quite comforting. Rather than scarring, the conversation promotes a sense of security.

Another benefit: voluntary compliance. Then you don't have to worry about them feeling free and being secretly safe. It still feels like freedom if holding hands was her choice.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM