Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by Kate
    The camp is taught by college professors who definitely know their stuff.
    It's good to hear that that was your experience. Before laying out thousands of dollars on going to such a thing, though, I'd want names, personally. Not all college professors are equal, and not all are reliable guides to the subject*; sometimes, organisers of events for children put enthusiasm so far above expertise that accuracy suffers.

*I am one, that's how I know ;-)

Good point! I have no way to judge their quality as math professors since I'm only a veterinarian...I know nothing about math. The director, Kathleen Zehender is very open to questions, though, and very quick to reply!

D
    D
    Kate, that's a lot of math. How much other camp stuff is there? What are the kids doing during the breaks? Any canoeing/sports/physical activity?

What's in the parent seminars, and do they last all the hours of camp? If we went, we'd have to bring some work with us. I'm still trying to figure out how we'd make it work.

DeeDee

B
    B
    I started a thread regarding Epsilon Math Camp at the Well Trained Mind forum a few months ago http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274889 . One poster there, Kathy in Richmond, is one of the organizers. I suggest that people with additional questions join that forum. She would likely answer them.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    The kids played soccer or frisbee during the breaks between classes. Some parents took their kids hiking to the nearby Garden of the Gods during the lunch break. One day we went rafting as a group. Some kids played Dominion or other board/card games during the evening. For my son, after dinner he needed time away from everyone. We weren't able to participate in the office hours, but we did attend a couple of movie nights.

The parent seminars talked about gifted kids in general and also specifically how to find outside resources for your math kid. A lot of info came from parents themselves about how they found mentors, which online math programs they had used, which tests/competitions were available, and other summer math opportunities. The formal-ish parent class was in the morning and the afternoon was set aside for informal discussion.

I attended almost every parent meeting, because I felt like I had to get every single bit of help I could. That is not true for everyone. Most parents really knew what they were doing with their math kids. I felt alone in my floundering!! Several people worked during camp hours.

As for accommodations, there is a dorm on campus with single beds and a full kitchen. You can be on the campus meal plan and never use the kitchen. Some people stayed in a motel instead of the dorm. If you are on campus, everything is within walking distance. People set up carpools for lunch hiking trips or grocery shopping.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I started a thread regarding Epsilon Math Camp at the Well Trained Mind forum a few months ago http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274889 . One poster there, Kathy in Richmond, is one of the organizers. I suggest that people with additional questions join that forum. She would likely answer them.

Yes, Kathy is the Kathleen Zehender I mentioned above and she is very quick to respond via email. I had lots of questions for her before camp last year and she was very helpful.

N
    Nan Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Kate, that's a lot of math. How much other camp stuff is there? What are the kids doing during the breaks? Any canoeing/sports/physical activity?

DeeDee, it is a lot of math. There were approximately 10-minute breaks between each of the lecture hall sessions (so two breaks in the 9-12 session, and 1 in the 3-5 session). For kids who weren't picked up for the 1-3 break, it was a chance for kids to run around on the lawn, play soccer, or hang out with friends. It was most definitely not a typical summer camp experience with a little math thrown in; it was a highly structured, intensive math camp, with math that most adults would not be able to do. Most of the kids who were there seemed to really thrive on it, but it would not be a good fit for a kid who was not into math or who was borderline on meeting the admissions requirements.

A lot of people made it into a family vacation, but those who were happiest about that were probably those who had planned extra time on one or both ends of camp. There's really no time for family sightseeing during the camp itself, though it sounds like the middle weekend will be free this year, which might be a nice break from the intensity!

D
    D
    Thanks for the info-- helpful in planning an overall balanced summer.

What kinds of topics did they do, and at what level of depth? DS is working on level 9 ALEKS right now ("high school geometry") but at the moment he prefers algebra. By July, of course, that might have flip-flopped again.

DeeDee

N
    Nan Offline
    N
    DeeDee, I sent you a private message.

D
    D
    Thanks, Nan!

M
    M
    I am the professor who taught the epsilon geometry course in 2011. I taught from the beautiful Green Lion edition of the famous T.L. Heath translation of Euclid's Elements. This is the book I used when I taught upper level undergraduates and graduate students at UGA in Athens, GA. This is considerably above the level of the geometry course I myself had in high school and also what is normally available now, say from Harold Jacobs' book Geometry. These kids were stronger than a typical college class and I just loved teaching them, although it did take a good part of the first week for us to get to know and respect each other. I apologize for my primitive class management skills. But I think we mostly solved this within three days.

We went from scratch, Euclid's own postulates, and a critical examination of them in the light of modern theory, mostly due to Hilbert, and guided by the beautiful book by Robin Hartshorne, written for his college class at UC Berkeley. I ended up showing how the limit theory of volumes in Euclid and Archimedes allowed the computation of the volume of a sphere, and then leads to calculus, and even wrote up but did not present, an argument for how Archimedes could have computed the volume of a 4 dimensional sphere.

I conjecture there is no way the kids could have ever seen this material before, unless they went to college. Indeed I made up some of it myself just for them. But they are so bright, it went well, better even than when I taught it in college. Since this stuff was so intense and high powered, we had an afternoon class in which we did only hands on constructions of solids from cardboard, such as icosahedra and dodecahedra, and they really enjoyed that. For this I myself learned for the first time how to really construct a pentagon. I had never learned it in high school and not really grasped it in grad school even when i taught it until last summer. If you want to explain something to 9 year olds, or anyone, you should really understand it! In preparation for the course, we emailed about some advanced algebra, including Euler's explanation of how to solve both quadratic and cubic equations, something I had not understood that well before even though i had taught it to grad students.

This year I envisioned going forward with a more general geometry course on curved geometry, showing that Euclid's geometry fits in between positively curved and negatively curved geometry, as the case of flat geometry, i.e. zero curvature. Thus we would cover spherical geometry first ( a surface of positive curvature) and then geometry of negative curvature ("saddle surfaces") and show how the curvature is reflected in the angle sum of a triangle. I.e. on a sphere, the angle sum of a triangle is more than 180 degrees, and gets larger as the area of the triangle gets larger. For negatively curved surfaces the sum is smaller than 180 degrees, and there is an upper bound to the area of a triangle. if time allowed we would explore tessellations of the various planes by polyhedra, including negatively curved ones which allow more possibilities.

Ultimately I found I did not have have time to prepare adequately for this course since I was learning the material myself, and when I admitted this and withdrew, George hired an expert who is a college professor with research experience at the highest level in this material (he has published on it in the best research journal in America, Annals of Math.), and I believe it will be very exciting for the kids. The Euclidean geometry course will also be repeated for the newcomers. And there will be other courses as well.

Pardon me if my participation was unexpected, but I hoped to be able to answer some of the questions asked here. My experience was that the camp organizers are of the highest quality and focus primarily on mutual respect and mathematical expertise of the first order. I would send my kids. The expertise of the faculty is quite high. Basically they are research mathematicians qualified to teach graduate students in the area.

The demands on the kids for sitting and listening at length seemed high, but I was amazed at their ability to do it well. When I saw kids who were busying themselves doing something else, sometimes I called on them to keep them involved (I knew all their names) but the second week I eventually just gave them their space, and spoke mostly to those who were listening. At the end I really liked those young people and they made me feel they appreciated and liked me. i will never forget that experience. We live all our lives as teachers hoping to meet students whom we can help at this level.

If you want to see what we did mathematically, you may consult the books mentioned, and also my notes from the class which are on my webpage and were made available to the students along with the course. (See http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/, near the bottom.)

I am willing to bow out here so the discussion can proceed candidly if desired.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM