Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    F
    F
    Originally Posted by isugrads97
    Our school administers the MAP. This is how we were initially taken seriously. My son's scores were off the charts all year in both math and reading. Math 209; Reading 195 for Kinder

Your sons scores are slightly higher then my ds MAP scores of math 206 and reading 186. We have not been successful with any kind of acceleration. His wisc scores are not as even as your sons scores with working memory and processing speeds being very average. His PRI is 137 and VCI 126 for a GAI of 139.

Where in Illinois are you? We are in Illinois- northwest burbs and looking at the private schools.

Originally Posted by isugrads97
    FSIQ 138
    99%
    So I wouldn't worry about the gap, it's big, but with the strong WM and fast processing speed, I don't think it's going to be an issue. I would think of him as '99%' percent for school purposes, and hold an open mind that when it comes to problem solving, he may grow up to be even more unusual than that. School is all about Verbal Comprehension, but with his strong Verbal and unusually strong WM and Processing, I think he'd fit in nicely with any other bunch of kids with a similar Full Scale IQ.

But yup, I'd wonder about his low vocabulary score. Is his hearing impaired? I'd also check to see if he has CAPD - a problem is processing heard material. Is he supershy? Shyness can depress a Verbal score. Was he uncomfortable with the tester? Some kids who are strong at reading other people adjust their performance to fit in better without even realizing it.

I think giftedness is about 'unusualness.' You might live in a superzip neighborhood where there are plenty of kids just like him, or close enough. If you don't, it wouldn't be a suprise for him to need accommodation. What sort of accommodation you can get varies from location to location. Definitely try to do some gifted summer programs. When he talks to you at home, do his stories hold together? Can he retell plotlines from favorite books?

I'm guessing you got the test for a reason. Do these answers answer those original questions?
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    These stories remind me back to my 10yr olds younger days. Her MAP scores were 203 in math and 201 in reading in kindergarden. She had a great teacher who knew how to deal with her and another gifted child in her class. She loved that class. She went on to 1st and it couldn't have been worse. The teacher had problems with misbehaving kids in her class and couldn't handle it. We had to ask her about gifted services at the school even though she was in the 99% in MAP test scores. I'm not sure she would have even recommended it for her. She never really complained about being bored but only about all the "brats" in the class. 2nd grade came and we hit the lotto. The teacher had come from 5th grade and was/is the toughest teacher at the school. Most parents hated her. We loved her. No nonsense. Gave her her own math to do when the kids were tested on there add,subtract, divide, multiple to 12 tests.

I think my point is accelerating might work andit might not. It depends not only the teacher but the kids who are in the class.
    By the way that boy from her kindergarden class and my daughter are the two from her grade that go the district magnet school

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM