Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    We had the same problem when my daughter was that age. I agree with LNEsmom. I spoke with the teacher and asked that she read whatever she wanted to read. If it was for fun, she should not be reading textbooks.

The school allowed her to do this and it worked out well. She was able to read books that her friends were reading and she continued to enjoy reading.

The school literally did not have any books in the range she tested into.

Last edited by Ellipses; 05/11/12 06:36 AM.
    I think the first thing to do is figure out exactly what Lexile 1550 is like, and see if there are any books that look good -
    http://www.librarything.com/lexile/1550L

Titles
    1–25 of 474 ( next ) titles | shelf | covers title | author | popularity | Lexile

The Way We Never Were: American Families and the Nostalgia Trap by Stephanie Coontz
    The Anthropic Cosmological Principle (Oxford Paperbacks) by John D. Barrow
    The European Reformation by Euan Cameron
    We Now Know: Rethinking Cold War History (A Council on Foreign Relations Book) by John Lewis Gaddis
    The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives by Zbigniew Brzezinski
    Sun-Tzu: The Art of War (History and Warfare) by Zbigniew Brzezinski
    Russian Literature: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) by Catriona Kelly
    Feminist Methods in Social Research by Shulamit Reinharz
    Socrates: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) by C. C. W. Taylor
    Feminism and Art History: Questioning the Litany by Norma Broude
    Cultures of Print: Essays in the History of the Book (Studies in Print Culture and the History of the Book) by David D. Hall
    Passages from Antiquity to Feudalism (Verso Classics, 2) by Perry Anderson
    Queen Victoria: A Personal History by Christopher Hibbert
    Japanese Culture by Paul Varley
    Quakers and the American Family: British Settlement in the Delaware Valley by Barry Levy
    The Marketplace of Revolution: How Consumer Politics Shaped American Independence by T. H. Breen
    Complete Poetry (Oxford World's Classics) by Oscar Wilde
    Feminism and History (Oxford Readings in Feminism) by Joan Wallach Scott
    Content and Consciousness (International Library of Philosophy and Scientific Method) by Daniel Dennett
    This Stage-Play World: Texts and Contexts, 1580-1625 (OPUS) by Julia Briggs
    Culture/Power/History by Nicholas B. Dirks
    The Creative Suffering of God (Clarendon Paperbacks) by Paul S. Fiddes
    Freedom within Reason by Susan Wolf
    Poems: New and Selected by James Laughlin
    Positions and Presuppositions in Science Fiction by Darko Suvin
    Titles
    26–50 of 474 ( prev | next ) titles | shelf | covers title | author | popularity | Lexile

War Before Civilization by Lawrence H. Keeley
    Israel and the Bomb by Avner Cohen
    Feminism and the Mastery of Nature (Opening Out) by Val Plumwood
    Surrealism and the Sacred: Power, Eros, and the Occult in Modern Art by Celia Rabinovitch
    On Infantry: Revised Edition (Military Profession) by John A. English
    World War I and the Origin of Civil Liberties in the United States (Norton Essays in American History) by Paul L. Murphy
    Borders by Pat Mora
    Was George Washington Really the Father of Our Country?: A Clinical Geneticist Looks at World History by Robert Marion
    Russian folk belief by Linda J. Ivanits
    Time in history : the evolution of our general awareness of time and temporal perspective by G. J. Whitrow
    How Should One Live?: Essays on the Virtues by Roger Crisp
    Understanding Japanese Society (Nissan Institute Routledge Japanese Studies Series) by Joy Hendry
    Religion and the Enlightenment: From Descartes to Kant by James M. Byrne
    The Great Depression and the New Deal (Greenwood Press Guides to Historic Events of the Twentieth Century) by Robert F. Himmelberg
    Transnational Chinese Cinemas: Identity, Nationhood, Gender by Sheldon Hsia-Peng Lu
    Houses of the Interpreter: Reading Scripture, Reading Culture by David Lyle Jeffrey
    The Piratization of Russia: Russian Reform Goes Awry by Marshall I. Goldman
    Beyond Objectivism and Relativism: Science, Hermeneutics, and Praxis by Bernstein
    The origins of war : from the Stone Age to Alexander the Great by Arther Ferrill
    Orphans Of The Cold War America And The Tibetan Struggle For Survival by John Kenneth Knaus
    Ground Forces for a Rapidly Employabel Joint Task Force: First-Week Capabilities for Short-Warning Conflicts by Eugene C Gritton
    Cherokee Americans: The Eastern Band of Cherokees in the Twentieth Century (Indians of the Southeast) by John R. Finger
    A Nation Transformed by Information: How Information Has Shaped the United States from Colonial Times to the Present by John R. Finger
    Bond Men Made Free by Rodney Hilton
    Making the connections: Essays in feminist social ethics by Beverly Wildung Harrison
    Titles
    51–75 of 474 ( prev | next ) titles | shelf | covers title | author | popularity | Lexile

The War Come Home: Disabled Veterans in Britain and Germany, 1914-1939 by Deborah Cohen
    The Fashion Business: Theory, Practice, Image (Dress, Body, Culture Series) by Nicola White
    The modernist impulse in American Protestantism by William R. Hutchison
    The Ownership Solution: Toward A Shared Capitalism For The 21st Century by Jeff Gates
    Roman Philosophers by Mark Morford
    Struggles in the Promised Land: Towards a History of Black-Jewish Relations in the United States by Jack Salzman
    The American Indian and the End of the Confederacy, 1863-1866 (Civil War) by Annie Heloise Abel
    Surrogate Motherhood: Conception in the Heart (Institutional Structures of Feeling) by Helena Ragone
    Satan's Silence: Ritual Abuse and the Making of a Modern American Witch Hunt by Debbie Nathan
    The Roman War Machine (Medieval Military Library) by John Peddie
    On Virtue Ethics by Rosalind Hursthouse
    Why Era Failed: Politics, Women's Rights, and the Amending Process of the Constitution (Everywoman: Studies in History, by Mary Frances Berry
    The Magic of the Many: Josiah Quincy and the Rise of Mass Politics in Boston, 1800-1830 by Matthew H. Crocker
    Conventional Wisdom: The Content of Musical Form (Ernest Bloch Lectures) by Susan McClary
    The dust rose like smoke : the subjugation of the Zulu and the Sioux by James O. Gump
    Art Forgery: The Case of the Lady of Elche by John F. Moffitt
    Golden Peninsula: Culture and Adaptation in Mainland Southeast Asia (Shaps Library of Asian Studies) by Charles F. Keyes
    Signs in Society: Studies in Semiotic Anthropology (Advances in Semiotics) by Richard J. Parmentier
    Beyond Evolution: Human Nature and the Limits of Evolutionary Explanation by Anthony O'Hear
    Lutheranism, Anti-Judaism, and Bach's St. John Passion: With an Annotated Literal Translation of the Libretto by Michael Marissen
    Kings and Prophets: Monarchic Power, Inspired Leadership, and Sacred Text in Biblical Narrative by Cristiano Grottanelli
    The Italian Presence in American Art, 1760-1860 by Irma Jaffe
    Women in medieval society by Irma Jaffe
    Understanding Multivariate Research: A Primer for Beginning Social Scientists (Essentials of Political Science) by William Dale Berry
    U.S. History As Women's History: New Feminist Essays (Gender and American Culture) by Alice Kessler-Harris
    So one approach would be to send this list in to the teacher and ask her if she would help by suggesting one of these books to start with. Very Innocently.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    So, I'm thinking that sometimes VG (very gifted) kids test higher than the level that they can perform at. This happened with my son at age 11, the test said he was 'more than ready' for algebra, but he wasn't able to handle even pre-algebra. I'd grab these books out of the library from the list above, or any other that you think might catch her fancy
    Was George Washington Really the Father of Our Country?: A Clinical Geneticist Looks at World History by Robert Marion
    Russian folk belief by Linda J. Ivanits
    Time in history : the evolution of our general awareness of time and temporal perspective by G. J. Whitrow
    How Should One Live?: Essays on the Virtues by Roger Crisp
    Understanding Japanese Society (Nissan Institute Routledge Japanese Studies Series) by Joy Hendry
    Religion and the Enlightenment: From Descartes to Kant by James M. Byrne

and leave 'em around for your child to 'find' and see if she finds them interesting. That will tell you quite a bit.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    FYI - many of the history books listed from Grinity - are academic and used in higher ed. (Stephanie Coontz, Chirstopher Hibbert, Joan Scott, Barry Levy, David Hall, Alice Kessler-Harris - are big historians). I recognize them from working on a PhD in history and being a former adjunct history instructor.

Some of the books may or may not appeal to your daughter if she's not into the topic or author's perspective/writing. Some have crossover appeal with a general audience though.

Have you tried the public library and readers' advisory for help? They can helpful for guiding you on appropriate content and material for an advanced reader.

Scholastic has a book wizard (http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/) that may be useful as well.

U
    U
    Grinity's list is making me giggle. I think you should ask if the teacher will do a book club with her on these two:

Understanding Multivariate Research: A Primer for Beginning Social Scientists

The Anthropic Cosmological Principle (Oxford Paperbacks) by John D. Barrow

For these kids, at this point, the Lexile is obviously not really a great measure for everyday reading. I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to read those books for pleasure. (Does she?) She should just read good, high-level literature that's also age-appropriate--probably, books that would be taught in high school but are on the tamer side in terms of content. Shakespeare could be a fun challenge if you'd like to stretch her. I enjoyed Ibsen's plays as a young high schooler.

Last edited by ultramarina; 05/11/12 07:21 AM.
    I took a look at Scholastic book wizard, but forgot that it may not be enough for you with your daughter's reading level.

Barnes & Nobles has a way to find books by Lexile reading score - that's better.
    (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/reading-level-reading-books-lexile/search.asp). You enter a child's age, enter the Lexile score as 1600 or a range, select books (or textbooks or Nook), and then select topic or interest.

Another suggestion is to look at AP reading lists or googling terms like college reading list AND high school so you get lists like (http://www.waldsfe.org/highschool/HAHS/hsbl.htm). Alternatively, you could find reading materials from college courses or typing in specific terms, such as 17th-century European witchcraft reading list or Harvard university history reading list.

I think it might be easier to find books of interest and then see if it matches a Lexile score - provided you're looking around AP, classics, or college-level lists.

One way to get around the dilemma with the advance reading is to see if the teacher allows your daughter to bring in materials from home or public library - rather than sticking with what's in a classroom or school.

Agreed Ultramarina! At this point, declare her a successful reader and allow her to enjoy herself!

Well, thanks Ultramarina and Ellipses. I'm a librarian and say this all the time, but teachers can get hung up with phonics, Lexile scores, content, topic, writing styles, test scores, and an end game or some preconceived result from reading.

I've had battles with my son's private gifted school over it too. He's 6.5 years old and reading at a 4/5th grade level. I just want him to enjoy reading, period, and not something he may dread or view as a chore.

I say there's a reason both children and adults love Roald Dahl's books. The writing and humor are superb and you can escape into another world.

Yet there's also a reason why authors like Malcolm Gladwell make it to the bestseller's list and sell millions of books. They give us ideas or information or challenge the way we think, yet be enjoyable to read at the same time.

P
    P
    I know this may be an odd question - but what do they do in a school reading class when a child is 12 years old? Our schools don't really have "reading classes" - they have silent reading independent times anywhere from 15-30 minutes during the day through elementary, but there is no work required out of that time - it's mostly used as a way of letting everyone calm down and regroup after lunch/recess. Our kids have language arts and humanities classes in elementary and secondary school that have a significant load of reading core to the class but the whole class (or groups within the class) read the same books to have the same background knowledge and incorporate the reading into group discussion/projects etc - so there's reading involved but the intent isn't developing reading as a skill. English classes focus on grammar and writing.

Sorry - didn't mean to get off track, but I'm just curious about it.

FWIW we have had and continue to have the same struggle with our ds and finding fiction for him to read for pleasure. He's also picky about what he will read.. which makes it even more challenging! In your situation, I agree with the others who suggested having the school find books to select from. If her teacher can't help, perhaps the librarian can?

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 05/11/12 08:39 AM.
    With the Lexile process, there are questions to answer about the books they read. Part of their grade is based on their scores on these tests.

When my daughter (now in 9th) was in sixth, they all read books together as well as independent reading (Lexile).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM