Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Thank you for all the advice. I will let you know how it goes.

OP Offline
    I talked my dd6 that homeschool is the best option. She told me that school was to give mommy and daddy a break. She told me she is only suppose to learn at home and school was a place to be while we took a break. When i explained to her that's not how school is suppose to be that it is suppose to be a place where you learn new things and work hard she said well mommy i should away with k12 then. I ask what if we send your sister to school and she said that's ok, but i really want to help other kids learn can i go to school to do that. She was in public school for 100 days and this is how she sees school. A place for her to teach other kids and give her parents a break. That scares me.

Last edited by trinaninaphoenix; 04/20/12 12:15 PM.
    You can't blame her. My DS8 is still pretty convinced of that, even though we've tried explaining things to him. frown

~amy
    OP Offline
    I didnt like it at all. But I dont blame her. I told the teacher she is a leader, which she is, so the teacher used it to get her to behave in class.
    We are also looking for schools for my 5 year old and I really dont want her to tell me the same thing. So I need to ensure a good fit, but she also does better in a class room than with me from her preschool experience. While she is more of a follower she is reading, writing and adding and subtracting on her own already so I am nervous about sending her off to school.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by trinaninaphoenix
    I talked my dd6 that homeschool is the best option. She told me that school was to give mommy and daddy a break. She told me she is only suppose to learn at home and school was a place to be while we took a break. When i explained to her that's not how school is suppose to be that it is suppose to be a place where you learn new things and work hard she said well mommy i should away with k12 then. I ask what if we send your sister to school and she said that's ok, but i really want to help other kids learn can i go to school to do that. She was in public school for 100 days and this is how she sees school. A place for her to teach other kids and give her parents a break. That scares me.

Retrospectively I did learn SOME things at school, but I certainly grew up firmly believing that school, primary school in particular, was nothing more than daycare so that my parents could work. Also possibly some form of strange torture ritual.

MumOfThree #127921 04/20/12 08:37 PM
    OP Offline

Retrospectively I did learn SOME things at school, but I certainly grew up firmly believing that school, primary school in particular, was nothing more than daycare so that my parents could work. Also possibly some form of strange torture ritual. [/quote]

I really dont want that for my kids. I enjoyed school till I got to middle school. It was fun and I loved learning. Once I moved and didnt have friends I hated it but between my friends and awesome teachers I had a blast. I also always had great grades till then. I want my kids to know that love of school I had when I was a kid. It is important to me. I also want them to learn in school though. I want school to challenge them on some level. I dont know. I hope I can find that for all of them, there are 4 total. I dont know if the babies are going to be as advanced as their older sisters but if so life is only beginning to get interesting.

I am having my oldest tested just to see where she is, I dont know if she or any of my children are truly gifted, but till I found this site I had never run across anyone who knew how to deal with their difference from other kids. If they are truly just advanced I am more than ok with that, but if she turns out truly gifted then I am going to have a lot more questions.

OP Offline
    What test is best for a 6 year old who has no fear of strangers?

I think WISC 4 is good for kids who are talkative with strangers. It is commonly offered and widely familiar. I think you have the key issue....is your daughter optimally gifted and going to do well with strong agemates or is your child highly or unusually gifted so a totally flexible approach.

I'm not much of a fan of asking a teacher to provide a totally unique educationall experience for an individual kid...some teachers are super and do it without even asking or making a big deal out of it but it is just too difficult for most teachers....like asking a malpractice lawyer to handle a divorce. That is why I believe in putting kids with similar readyness to learn levels together. How this is accomplished can be through choosing a school with similar agemates or through placing the child with older children for some or all of the day or some combination.

I appreciate that you care so much about your kids!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Thanks I try but I have no clue if I am doing right. My oldest did better after going to first grade for reading last year. I hope the testing for her gives us a better picture of where she needs to be. That way even if we stay homeschooling then we will know what needs to be done for her. I still sometimes think she is bored with her current curriculum. I also think she is getting some of her answers wrong in math on purpose. But I dont want to make her think it has to be perfect. She got really upset about missing one problem when we first started, and dd5 is a severe perfectionist so I have to be careful what I say to either girl. If I tell my oldest she can do better my 5 year old hears it and has issues. So it is a balancing act.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM