Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    SiaSL #127270 04/11/12 11:26 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by SiaSL
    DeeDee, suggestions on ways to go broader that run along rather against the grain of the AS? His therapist keeps pushing word problems as the be all and end all of what spectrum kids should work on (rather than zooming ahead on conpects) but he hates them. I would love to find something that moves him up gently to the word problems at his conceptual level.

Hi SiaSL,

(I know I'm not answering what you asked until the end, but some thoughts for context:)

Our DS actually (weirdly) has no trouble with word problems. The only real issue is that showing his work has been a slow skill to come-- and that's only an issue because the answers come to him too quickly, without evident "steps." This is a skill worth mastering, because scientists have to do it, so we forge ahead on it.

For a kid who struggles with word problems, I'd say to work a lot (outside of math) on pragmatic language skills (especially understanding implicit instructions), and to make math as much a part of the household conversation as you can, with an emphasis on what the "need to know" part is in your own thinking. So much of reading a word problem is understanding the nuance of what is being asked for-- is that where your DS has trouble? There are always unwritten assumptions, and those are often hard for AS folks.

But you asked for broad. Right now we are opting to do ALEKS science (chemistry) rather than more math: chem is nice because it has applied algebra in it. Once he runs out of that, I'll be searching for other online self-paced science courses that include some math (earth science would be awesome, as would astronomy), or maybe even topics that are further afield. (I have my eye on NUMATS online Chinese... DS would be great at that.)

Because he likes math, he wants to do more and more. If we can make more of it applied math-- statistics, probability-- that would be another way to go broad. Someone here recommended the AOPS courses, especially number theory-- if next year's teacher insists that his ALEKS/online learning time must be math, I will counterpropose that sort of thing.

I am actually looking to get out of the online learning biz with him, as I find it less meaningful than in-person instruction, but as long as the gifted program requires a few hours a week of it, I'm going to be tailoring it along those lines.

DeeDee

DeeDee #127271 04/11/12 12:13 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Our DS actually (weirdly) has no trouble with word problems. The only real issue is that showing his work has been a slow skill to come-- and that's only an issue because the answers come to him too quickly, without evident "steps." This is a skill worth mastering, because scientists have to do it, so we forge ahead on it.

Hi DeeDee, I apologize for veering a bit OT here, but fwiw, I'm a scientist with a math degree and if I was young again and in school now I'm sure someone would classify me as "gifted at math". I just wanted to let you know that if I'd been tasked with word problems in elementary school I would have *hated* it - it's really not easy explaining and showing your work (or worse... having to show it in multiple different ways, which our kids' school is always asking). "Showing" my work didn't really click with me until I was in college, but I turned out ok smile So, just a little bit of reassurance that while it's a worthwhile skill to teach, if a kid isn't getting it when they are young and math is easy, I wouldn't overly stress it. There will come a time when they need to show their work and they'll get the skill then.

OTOH, that's all totally discounting the value of getting graded on showing your work!

polarbear

D
    D
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I'm a scientist with a math degree ... "Showing" my work didn't really click with me until I was in college, but I turned out ok smile

Thanks, Polarbear, for the encouragement. We aren't stressing him out about it, just looking for opportunities to reinforce the skill. The proofs in ALEKS geometry slowed him down in a good way in that regard, forcing some logical thinking. I think it will come...

Apology to OP for having hijacked the thread...

DeeDee

G
    G
    Polarbear, I mostly agree with you. I'm also a card carrying, employed scientist. However, getting the basics of showing my work in algebra carried me a long ways into college, and having the skills in place when I got to college allowed me to excel in places peers struggles.

Originally Posted by polarbear
    OTOH, that's all totally discounting the value of getting graded on showing your work!

The struggle DD's having in showing her work is that she's adopted a short hand for whipping out the ALEKS solutions that is really wrong. So now we're dealing with stuff getting marked wrong, and there are habits to undo.

Add me to the list of people who would rather just unplug the computers in math class.

My kids have never struggled with word problems, and indeed, tend to see the answer more readily than in a purely numerical problem. In our house, going deeper rather than further has come through learning about things like fractals and paper folding.

To the OP: SiaSL has the right numbers on the topics. The lower level content isn't removed from what the kids might access until 7th grade level. It's there so that kids doing remediation on ALEKS won't be obviously placed downwards.

I don't think that showing these results to the gifted teacher will result in much. What's your goal with using ALEKS?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM