Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 23 of 29 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 28 29
    Congratulations Dottie - the scores of your dd and ds both sound amazing and wonderful to me. And I'm so glad your wait is over. Did you tell those people in Iowa you had to wait 30 whole pages!

Was it maybe lucky guessing last year, Dottie? Or unlucky questions this year?

On the bright side, his scores went up, not down. That's something, right?

Kriston
    Dottie #12287 03/21/08 05:55 AM
    Good points! Slow down, DS, and look for patterns, Mom! smile

Kriston
    Dottie #12290 03/21/08 07:27 AM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Well, I'm officially back down on planet earth. We did get the Explore scores and they are NOT what I was hoping for, particularly in math of all things. Go figure!

I'll start with DD11, because she really improved quite nicely! She's solidly in the "GT" mean range for 5th grade, with only English a little on the low side. This is truly great for her, and she had excellent growth from last year. Remember too she had extended time. She's pretty solidly above your average 8th grader as well! She's nowhere near DYS levels (not that I expected that).

Then there's the boy. He did go up in every category, which of course is nice, but his math went up the least! I was shocked! shocked But here I am sharing the good with the "bad". His math is still quite high, still at the 99th for his age peer GT pals, but only low 90's for his current peers in 5th. I'm impressed anew with Jen's daughter's (higher!) scores!!! DS seems more "well rounded" this year, but he only hit 3/5 benchmarks for the DYS criteria as a 4th grader.

Anyway, at least the darn things finally came, and I can move on with my life! I had hoped to end this test on a high (ceiling) note, but now I'll have to reconsider again for next year. Maybe I should induce fevers for all his testing...

Dottie,

First of all, it's good to have your long wait over!!! The good thing is that your DS improved in each category. Your children are most definitely gifted. Since we didn't get the GT comparison numbers in our packet, can you tell me what those are? For example, what are the GT peers comparisons that you refer to? We only got a comparison to a 8th graders sampling and that to me didn't make much sense.

Also, since the test makes a recommendation for classes to take the following year (if I understand correctly), what are those recommendations supposed to be? Does it give you who is at grade level and who should take Algebra, pre-calc etc. the next year?

Again, I think those a fantastic scores.

Jen

Dottie #12295 03/21/08 07:59 AM
    But I think that's pretty common. I see my girls progress in terms of spurts. I saw it happen like that with their developmental progress when they were really little. I absolutely see it now when they are advancing intellectually. It seems if they aren't doing much, then, seem to wake up one morning leaps ahead. I can't remember who or when, but I remember seeing a discussion on a thread some time ago, that proposed the idea that sometimes they are actually working on something else when they don't seem to be progressing in their more obvious or strength area.
    It's good to see DD shoot up like that, too. I'll bet she is so thrilled!!!!!!!

Incog

Dottie #12299 03/21/08 08:30 AM
    That makes total sense! I suspect my youngest as the more visual spatial and notice spurts more with her. I always thought it was because DD5 is the more in your face kid and DD8 is more subtle.

Originally Posted by incogneato
    But I think that's pretty common. I see my girls progress in terms of spurts. I saw it happen like that with their developmental progress when they were really little. I absolutely see it now when they are advancing intellectually. It seems if they aren't doing much, then, seem to wake up one morning leaps ahead.

Same here. I think nothing is happening and then all of the sudden, they are learning new things left and right. Now if only it was true for me too wink

LMom
    Dottie #12671 03/29/08 06:20 AM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm glad the full report was able to give you some more information (and more obsession smile )

Thanks for reviving my thread. I love anything that helps with distraction.

Crisc
    Dottie #12691 03/29/08 01:32 PM
    Ann Offline
    Dottie, what's a CTY or AoPS course?

Ann #12693 03/29/08 01:47 PM
    Originally Posted by Ann
    Dottie, what's a CTY or AoPS course?

CTY=Center for Talented Youth http://cty.jhu.edu/

AoPS=Art of Problem Solving http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/

HTH (=hope this helps) smile

Cathy

Page 23 of 29 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 28 29