Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 173 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    [ Just FYI, with CTY, I believe (almost certain) they mail you the certificate/stuff.

We also didn't make it to the NUMATS award ceremony the year DD qualified. The end of the school year is crazy busy with graduations, etc. It's too bad, as the speakers that NUMATS had lined up looked interesting.

They mailed her the program and her medal a week or so after the ceremony.

As an aside, DD was sort of surprised by all the fuss. She sort of thought it was weird getting awarded for taking a test that (for her) wasn't too challenging. It was one of those times we got to talk about how at our house we try to always focus on working hard and setting your own goals.

My DS9 is a 4th grader and he also got 25 in math this year. His math teacher sent him to middle school class one hour a day for the semester. DS was invited to join the math team in middle school. After a couple of heartbroken experience in math contests with some of the best 7/8th graders, DS told me that EXPLORE was actually the easy one.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    My DS9 is a 4th grader and he also got 25 in math this year. His math teacher sent him to middle school class one hour a day for the semester. DS was invited to join the math team in middle school. After a couple of heartbroken experience in math contests with some of the best 7/8th graders, DS told me that EXPLORE was actually the easy one.

We are looking at a similar scenario this coming year, so I'd love some feedback on how it all worked. Did you son take a bus to the middle school? Did you transport him? How did it work with his other classes (the ones he was missing, or were you able to schedule it during math)? Will he need to do the same thing with the HS at the end of MS? How did the MS teachers and students react?
    As far as the math team, ds10 also would like to join (ours isn't very good, lol, so there is no "invitation" - although the highest scoring students on the AMC get to be the official competitors). Can students who are not at the middle school officially be part of their team? Were the older kids on the team okay, or did they feel like he was "stealing" a spot?

It's great that he did so well on the EXPLORE! Will you be taking him to the NUMATS ceremony if he qualifies? Have you gone before?

Originally Posted by momtofour
    We are looking at a similar scenario this coming year, so I'd love some feedback on how it all worked. Did you son take a bus to the middle school? Did you transport him? How did it work with his other classes (the ones he was missing, or were you able to schedule it during math)? Will he need to do the same thing with the HS at the end of MS? How did the MS teachers and students react?
    As far as the math team, ds10 also would like to join (ours isn't very good, lol, so there is no "invitation" - although the highest scoring students on the AMC get to be the official competitors). Can students who are not at the middle school officially be part of their team? Were the older kids on the team okay, or did they feel like he was "stealing" a spot?

It's great that he did so well on the EXPLORE! Will you be taking him to the NUMATS ceremony if he qualifies? Have you gone before?

Lucky for DS that middle school is just across parking lot from elementary school, so the teacher only needs to arrange someone to walk DS over everyday. Eventually we might have to deal with transportation issue since the high school is about two miles away. Actually the math skip was initiated by the gifted program teacher and the principal. Both took the job for the first semester and really wanted to get it done. The scheduling was quite tricky because all the mandatory classes (e.g. PE ). It took over a month to settle.

Joining the math team was a surprise for us. The coach might see something we don't know. I guess math team captain is DS' best friend also helped, plus most middle school kids and their parents rather commit band/orchestra rehearsals over math team.

DS took EXPLORE last year as 3rd grader. He finished 20 out 25 questions and got 20 in math. This will be the first time to NUMATS ceremony if he can make the cut.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Well, if anyone wants to check, the toolboxes actually have a message on the home screen if your child is an award winner. The good news is that ds10 did qualify... the bad news is that the graduation is still the same day (June 9th).
    We finally got ds11's SAT scores, too. He took them through our school district's "SAT on campus," not NUMATS, and I honestly think it was the best of both worlds... he scored well enough to "wow" us (610 CR and 590 M, no writing) but not, at least looking at last year's scores, well enough to have qualified for the ceremony if he had taken it through NUMATS. So, at least I don't have to feel bad for him, lol....
    Still debating whether to show ds10 the invitation when it comes.

Well, if anyone wants to check, the toolboxes actually have a message on the home screen if your child is an award winner. The good news is that ds10 did qualify

Thanks for the heads-up. Congratuation to your ds.

M
    M
    Well, if anyone wants to check, the toolboxes actually have a message on the home screen if your child is an award winner.

Thanks for the message, I found the message in my dd10 toolbox this morning.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM