You guys have been really helpful. Thanks so much! We're on the coast of North Carolina, by the way. Listed as somewhat "gifted-friendly", but from the research I've done, they only become that way around third grade. That could be good news for my son, who will be in third grade next year.
To be honest, I don't know if I want to skip them. I'm not necessarily against the idea, but I want to look at all options before trying for that.
I'm hesitant to get their IQ tested, mainly because when I got mine tested as a kid, it was used against me all the way up through high school. I used to hear "I know your IQ - you're just being lazy" or something to that effect, every time I didn't understand something. Basically, I want my kids to be challenged, but I also want them to be able to make mistakes and not necessarily be expected to be perfect. If I can be sure that those scores would be available on an "as-needed" basis, I would do it in a second.
Talking to the teachers has proven to be less than helpful, but I'm wondering if it would help to include the AIG teacher and administrators as well?
You guys have given me a lot to consider, though, and I appreciate it! Thanks so much!