Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links


Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

  • Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

  • Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

    Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

    Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    I finally got a chance to go look at the link. -

    Cues are ways your baby is telling you what he or she wants. Many of these cues are nonverbal but may lead to crying when not attended to.
    Yup.

    See: Babies can best follow faces and objects with their eyes and head at a distance of eight-12 inches away. They respond to contrasting colors and human faces.

    Funny. I keep seeing posts that people are being told that's unusual.

    Ps.

    Drowsy:

    In this state, your baby has smooth body movements and mild startles. The eyes may open and close and appear heavy lidded, dull, and glazed. Before interacting, wait to see if your baby will stay asleep or wake up. To wake up your baby in this drowsy period, give your baby something to see or hear.

    You forgot the word Word Heading Drowsy. It helps when reading for context. It doesn't say ND kids have glazed eyes. It says drowsy kids have droopy glazed eyes. My kids eyes get like that if they're exhausted or sick. Which leads back to the comment that ND kids look sleepy all the time. I guess I just don't see it. Are you talking about kids you know or strangers at the market?

    I'm adding "handbag kid" to my collection, along with, "potted plant kid". A potted plant baby is the opposite of how mine was, who my grandmother nicknamed "Vel" which was short for Velcro.



    I've got my own judgemental-ness about other people's kids. I used to think they were very skillfully faking it that they were incapable, but that was when I was a kid. I don't think about the kids now. That same thought happens about other adults now, even though I really know they're not faking that they can't do stuff, I still get the feeling they're faking it.

    If I offended unjustly it was not mean-spiritedly. I really do find life in general that funny.


    Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 948
    D
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    D
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 948
    Originally Posted by annette
    In this thread, I don't need to apologize, because my statement should not have been offensive to anyone with a decent vocabulary. Infants do have glazed eyes. I think it's perfectly acceptable to comment on typical development because typical development is perfectly acceptable.

    Was it really necessary to make a bunch of posters feel bad about their posts? I don't think it was. I think it was mean-spirited and insulting. If the complaint itself had been polite, sensitive and non-judgmental, then I wouldn't have responded. What can I say? Hypocrisy irritates me.

    Aaaaand...it isn't mean-spirited and insulting to say that anyone with a decent vocabulary wouldn't have been offended? That is polite and sensitive? Allrighty then.

    Last edited by deacongirl; 02/18/12 11:01 PM.
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 948
    D
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    D
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 948
    Originally Posted by annette
    Originally Posted by annette
    I think it was mean-spirited and insulting.


    Rethinking this statement, which I admit was very judgmental.
    Hah. My own hypocrisy irritates me too. ;P

    oops, didn't see this post. I like rethinking things--it is good modeling for the little ones.

    Joined: Sep 2007
    Posts: 3,298
    Likes: 1
    Val Offline
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    Joined: Sep 2007
    Posts: 3,298
    Likes: 1
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Drowsy:

    In this state, your baby has smooth body movements and mild startles. The eyes may open and close and appear heavy lidded, dull, and glazed.

    You forgot the word Word Heading Drowsy. It helps when reading for context. It doesn't say ND kids have glazed eyes. It says drowsy kids have droopy glazed eyes. My kids eyes get like that if they're exhausted or sick. Which leads back to the comment that ND kids look sleepy all the time.

    Thank you. I was about to add this clarification.

    IMO, the original out-of-context quote supports the perspective that some of the messages in this thread have been disingenuous. The world is full of out-of-context quotes being used to imply meanings that differ from what was originally intended. Do we really want this here? I know that people make mistakes. But still.

    Last edited by Val; 02/18/12 10:35 PM.
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Originally Posted by annette
    [quote=La Texican] In this thread, I don't need to apologize, because my statement should not have been offensive to anyone with a decent vocabulary. Infants do have glazed eyes. I think it's perfectly acceptable to comment on typical development because typical development is perfectly acceptable.

    Was it really necessary to make a bunch of posters feel bad about their posts? I don't think it was. I think it was mean-spirited and insulting. If the complaint itself had been polite, sensitive and non-judgmental, then I wouldn't have responded. What can I say? Hypocrisy irritates me.

    Aaaaand...it isn't mean-spirited and insulting to say that anyone with a decent vocabulary wouldn't have been offended? That is polite and sensitive? Allrighty then.
    I pm'd you, but it's late so you're probably gone. For some reason this quote of what Annette says has my name at the top of it. Her names on the box, but my name's inside it so it looks like I said it.


    Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 948
    D
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    D
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 948
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Originally Posted by annette
    [quote=La Texican] In this thread, I don't need to apologize, because my statement should not have been offensive to anyone with a decent vocabulary. Infants do have glazed eyes. I think it's perfectly acceptable to comment on typical development because typical development is perfectly acceptable.

    Was it really necessary to make a bunch of posters feel bad about their posts? I don't think it was. I think it was mean-spirited and insulting. If the complaint itself had been polite, sensitive and non-judgmental, then I wouldn't have responded. What can I say? Hypocrisy irritates me.

    Aaaaand...it isn't mean-spirited and insulting to say that anyone with a decent vocabulary wouldn't have been offended? That is polite and sensitive? Allrighty then.
    I pm'd you, but it's late so you're probably gone. For some reason this quote of what Annette says has my name at the top of it. Her names on the box, but my name's inside it so it looks like I said it.

    Sorry about that--I need to make myself figure out this quote thing and just can't seem to get it right. I will edit for clarity.

    Joined: Jan 2011
    Posts: 253
    A
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    A
    Joined: Jan 2011
    Posts: 253
    Pulling out my dictionary (...again, sigh):

    alert   
    adjective
    1.fully aware and attentive; ,wide-awake; keen: an alert mind

    Can any of us think of antonyms for wide-awake?

    So if the gifted literature is clear that gifted babies are often more alert, then what are more typical babies doing? Maybe looking sleepy? Maybe with that glazed eye look we all get when we are sleepy?

    I suppose if you are looking to be offended, you will be, no matter what I say.
    No matter what the dictionary says!

    Be offended! Yippee for you! What a wonderful attitude to have in life.
    Good luck with that.

    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Read the pm anyway because I told you something else too.

    Joined: Jan 2011
    Posts: 253
    A
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    A
    Joined: Jan 2011
    Posts: 253
    Originally Posted by Val
    IMO, the original out-of-context quote supports the perspective that some of the messages in this thread have been disingenuous. The world is full of out-of-context quotes being used to imply meanings that differ from what was originally intended. Do we really want this here? I know that people make mistakes. But still.


    I love that you continue to assume the worst about people.
    Just lovely of you.

    All my points continue to fly right over your head.

    But no, keep trying to prove your point that secretly, in some sneaky disingenuous way, I was saying something nasty or meant to be, or really--that was my intention. Because you definitely know my inner thoughts better than I do (and everyone else on this thread as well). lol.


    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 948
    D
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    D
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 948
    Originally Posted by annette
    Pulling out my dictionary (...again, sigh):

    alert   
    adjective
    1.fully aware and attentive; ,wide-awake; keen: an alert mind

    Can any of us think of antonyms for wide-awake?

    So if the gifted literature is clear that gifted babies are often more alert, then what are more typical babies doing? Maybe looking sleepy? Maybe with that glazed eye look we all get when we are sleepy?

    I suppose if you are looking to be offended, you will be, no matter what I say.
    No matter what the dictionary says!

    Be offended! Yippee for you! What a wonderful attitude to have in life.
    Good luck with that.

    humility noun \hy-ˈmi-lə-tē, y-\
    Definition of HUMILITY
    : the quality or state of being humble
    See humility defined for English-language learners
    See humility defined for kids
    Related to HUMILITY
    Synonyms: demureness, down-to-earthness, humbleness, lowliness, meekness, modesty
    Antonyms: arrogance, assumption, bumptiousness, conceit, egoism, egotism, haughtiness, hauteur, huffiness, imperiousness, loftiness, lordliness, peremptoriness, pomposity, pompousness, presumptuousness, pretense (or pretence), pretension, pretentiousness, pride, pridefulness, superciliousness, superiority, toploftiness

    Definition of HUMBLE
    1: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
    2: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission
    And just for fun to reference a previous thread on leadership, what does
    Humility-Leadership Training have to do with leadership?

    "Humility is all about maintaining our pride about who we are, about our achievements, about our worth but without arrogance it is the antithesis of hubris, that excessive, arrogant pride which often leads to the derailment of some corporate heroes, as it does with the downfall of the tragic hero in Greek drama. It's about a quiet confidence without the need for a meretricious selling of our wares. It's about being content to let others discover the layers of our talents without having to boast about them. It's a lack of arrogance, not a lack of aggressiveness in the pursuit of achievement."


    Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

    Moderated by  M-Moderator 

    Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5