Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    NCmom2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    "A student score at or above the following scores on a 6+ Mathematics Survey with Goals test suggests student readiness for:
    • 230 Introduction to Algebra • 235 Algebra • 245 Geometry "

Boy-child has been coming home from school and self-importantly telling me that he has started algebra. I laughed, not sure whether to believe him, he can be such a braggart and not always completely honest about his achievements. But maybe they DID start him on algebra since he is nearly ready according to the MAP smile Either way, I am glad he is excelling. It has not been easy for him to be the spazzy younger brother of his precocious, uber-gifted and preternaturally well behaved older sister. The comparisons that people thoughtlessly made when they were younger brought me to tears they were so unfair. I know that he must have picked up on them too. Glad he is coming into his own, regardless of the decisions we make for future academics.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    I disagree with this. MAP testing IS used for placement for both reading and math.

From the cumulative report (2011 norms)...
    [quote=NWEA]
    " Comparative Data to Inform
    Instructional Decisions
    The information in this document is provided to help educators make informed decisions about what instructional programs or optional strategies might be used to help kids learn. These data should be used as one of many data points for instructional decisions rather than as the only single placement guide. They are applicable to a variety of instructional programs and instructional decisions. These might include but are not limited to:
    • Identifying and qualifying students for various instructional strategies
    • Guiding teachers who do not regularly make decisions on instructional program choices for students
    • Scheduling and grouping to meet students’ learning needs • Screening for special or alternative instruction • Staffing and resourcing
    For each chart:
    • The grade designations represent beginning-of-year grade levels.
    • The RIT scores defining each level are separated by 1/2 standard deviation except for the highest level which is set at the 95th percentile.
    • At all levels, consider differentiated instruction, flexible grouping, or tiered instruction.
    • As scores ascend, give more consideration to curriculum-compacting, accelerated instructional pacing, and special programs.
    • As scores descend, give more consideration to additional instructional time, one-on-one tutoring, use of short cycle assessments, and special programs.
    The instructional suggestions in this document are intended to provide initial ideas, not to be an exhaustive list of options. "

"A student score at or above the following scores on a 6+ Mathematics Survey with Goals test suggests student readiness for:
    • 230 Introduction to Algebra • 235 Algebra • 245 Geometry "

You can use the MAP for placement, but you can't look at the grade equivalent scores and say that the kid belongs at that grade level in whatever subject it is, and this becomes more true the higher you go. An 11th grader in the spring at the 50th percentile has the same RIT score in math as a 6th grader at the 78th percentile. The RIT scores you mentioned for placement in math come from studies done that show that for a certain score (say 235 in math) a kid is likely to pass Algebra I. But this is different from using GEs for placement.

Last edited by Kai; 02/16/12 06:32 PM.
    Kai #123195 02/16/12 06:39 PM
    A
    A
    You can't use the grade equivalents for placement, but you certainly can ask that your child be placed with children with similar RIT scores, and you can use the RIT scores directly to find what level the child is performing at, by using RIT curiculum ladders like the one here. .

N
    NCmom2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by aculady
    You can't use the grade equivalents for placement, but you certainly can ask that your child be placed with children with similar RIT scores, and you can use the RIT scores directly to find what level the child is performing at, by using RIT curiculum ladders like the one here. .

And that is what I think they do at DS's school. They do a lot of ability grouping and it seems to be fairly automatic. I sent math homework back last year marked "He knows this already" with a few completed problems to demonstrate that he did know the material. Almost immediately he was tested and moved into a higher ability grouping. Or something. All I know is that the next week he came home bragging that he was in 4th grade math and he had appropriate level homework.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by NCmom2
    Originally Posted by aculady

And that is what I think they do at DS's school. They do a lot of ability grouping and it seems to be fairly automatic. I sent math homework back last year marked "He knows this already" with a few completed problems to demonstrate that he did know the material. Almost immediately he was tested and moved into a higher ability grouping. Or something. All I know is that the next week he came home bragging that he was in 4th grade math and he had appropriate level homework.

This is what they do at my ds school... he is in 3rd grade.

Nice jumps in score. Just watch out for gaps. His school seems to be working. How does he like it there? If he does I wouldn't worry about the IQ test myself.

Last edited by mecreature; 02/17/12 08:41 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM