Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    D
    D
    Thanks, good to know.

DeeDee

A
    A
    Duke TIP has a talent search program for 4th and 5th grade students as well as the more widely known 7th/8th grade talent search. TIP program kids get access to online classes with other gifted kids, reduced rates on Duke's Independent Learning materials, the chance to participate in the writing the contest you mentioned, and out-of level test scores that can help with appropriate placement decisions at school, among other things. Starting in 7th grade, TIP participants can attend in-person college-level summer programs with other gifted kids hosted either at Duke or a few sister institutions.

My DS15 has participated in Duke TIP since 7th grade, and really enjoys the chance to interact with other gifted kids who have similar interests. He keeps in touch online with a number of the kids he's taken classes with. I'd say the best parts of the program are the opportunity to access above-level learning and the opportunity to meet other kids who are more likely to be true peers.

D
    DrH Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by serenitynow
    Does anyone have experience with both the KBIT and WISC IV? I am trying to determine the reliability of the KBIT-2 (Kaufman Brief Intelligence Test). My 9yo son was assessed with a 134 composite on KBIT; The psychologist said the WISC is usually within around 4 points of the KBIT. Can anyone who has done both share their scores?, example:
    KBIT = 134
    WISC=130

I am trying to determine whether a full scale is necessary but the school may require it for G&T program.
    Thanks!!

First question is where do you live... a big city or rural area. I only ask that because I've scrutinized the KBIT and a good many of the questions on it are slanted to a child from an urban background.

Depending on the age and just how far he progressed on the riddles or verbal section he could have been hit with some riddles and words that were really what I would call targeted to certain people at the expense of others.

Does he know what an elevator is, what graffiti is, who Rosa Parks was... If he does then I wouldn't expect him to have been adversely scored... but if he isn't familiar with those then you can pretty much guarantee he missed 3 questions just because he wasn't raised in New York City.

Frankly I believe those types OF questions are put on the test for reasons beyond making the test accurate. The WISC-IV wouldn't have these types of problems.

Originally Posted by aculady
    My DS15 has participated in Duke TIP since 7th grade, and really enjoys the chance to interact with other gifted kids who have similar interests. He keeps in touch online with a number of the kids he's taken classes with. I'd say the best parts of the program are the opportunity to access above-level learning and the opportunity to meet other kids who are more likely to be true peers.

My brother-in-law absolutely loved the Duke TIP program when he did it. I haven't heard anything bad about it from anyone.

T
    T
    I'm new to the site as of today, but wondered if you got a response on this? This is the reason I joined. I got the same brochure home with my son, 4th grade too, and didn't know if it was worth participating or not? If you could share your experience, I would reall appreciate. Thanks!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for all the input on the TIP. I've done some searching as well and it looks like the majority of benefits come at the 7th grade level and above (summer program). Also, I found out that the 4th/5th grade search allows for Explore testing in 5th or 6th grade (not 4th-although identification happens at 4th), and does not include summer camp options but does have some other benefits. So- he won't be testing this year but next. I am hoping that he will make the cut at the 7th grade level to do the summer programs. I'm assuming that there is a score requirement at 7th grade and above on the Explore test to participate in the summer camps/programs?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by serenitynow
    Thanks for all the input on the TIP. I've done some searching as well and it looks like the majority of benefits come at the 7th grade level and above (summer program). Also, I found out that the 4th/5th grade search allows for Explore testing in 5th or 6th grade (not 4th-although identification happens at 4th), and does not include summer camp options but does have some other benefits. So- he won't be testing this year but next. I am hoping that he will make the cut at the 7th grade level to do the summer programs. I'm assuming that there is a score requirement at 7th grade and above on the Explore test to participate in the summer camps/programs?
    If you wanted Explore results to help with advocacy or placement you can do it through Belin-Blank in 4th grade.
    edited to add: in 7th grade they take the SAT. I will probably have dd11 take the SAT next year in 6th grade for practice.

Last edited by deacongirl; 02/04/12 07:45 PM.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Good to know! Thanks deacongirl!

I
    I
    I've used the KBIT-2 for the past four years as an individual ceiling-off test as part of the identification process for our pull-out twice weekly gifted program--and was satisfied until last year.

These test is orally (language arts) & visually (patterns/inductive reasoning) administered. I'm questioning its use for some nominated children because a student may score high in the two language test areas, but still have substantial difficulty writing/ getting thoughts on paper--an area our district is currently emphasizing. I collect work samples as well and am increasing the number of samples this year. Most of those with writing difficulties, but verbal adeptness, are boys with a strongly visual learning style.

I learn a great deal about the student's motivation, zest for challenge and risk-taking, and problem-solving strategies from observing the child during the testing process.

Irene L.

Last edited by Irene M.; 02/06/12 09:03 PM.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for the feedback Irene. We just had our IEP meeting yesterday and I received his testing scores from the school psychologist.
    Here they are:
    RIAS:
    Verbal: 125 (95%)
    NonVerbal: 118 (88%)
    Composite: 123 (94th %)

He was accepted into the G/T pullout program based on their point matrix.
    Is it safe to say that these RIAS scores are the better estimate of cognition than the original KBIT-2? (Composite of 134) I was a little surprised by the large difference in the two. The KBIT was done by a private gifted psychologist, and the RIAS was done by the school psychologist. Someone had mentioned that the RIAS can underestimate ability, but I've also read in some studies that the RIAS tends to score higher than the WISC. What surprised me most was the WJ Achievement scores. His lowest score was in math, whereas Math was his highest achievement score on the state test (99 percentile). Maybe he ran out of time on the WJ? Here are those scores:
    Reading: 93 percentile
    Math: 77 Percentile
    Academic Knowledge: 96 Percentile.

Could I gain anything from having the WISC done? Or is this testing sufficient based on his scores? I'm thinking that there isn't a need for the WISC at this point since he was admitted into the G/T program but not really sure.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM