Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    I was talking with a friend who is a preschool teacher and she really believes in the benefits. I know she scored as gifted as a child and her daughter seems to be advanced, too. My friend says her daughter loves preschool. Her DD has been going since she was a toddler.

My initial reaction was "No way! DD is too young!" but she wore me down. DH had the same reaction. He said he doesn't want to send his baby away from him. DD is only 14 months old and still breastfeeds a lot. But I'm concerned because we don't see other kids often enough. Our play groups meet 40-45 minutes away and DD still mostly hates the car seat. I should probably work on hanging out with the neighbors more...

So thoughts on preschool for socializing?

K
    K
    If you don't need it (for childcare) and your child is happy at home, I'd say "no thanks." Developmentally, at this age, they will engage in "parallel play" but not really play "with" another child until sometime after the age of three (on average). They won't really develop "friendships" so interacting with other kids at the playground, even if it is new kids each time, is almost as beneficial as a preschool setting.

If you child is gifted, you'll be much better able to nurture her unique gifts at home than a teacher will be able to do in a preschool setting where she has the needs of a large group to consider.

Maybe reconsider preschool when she is three!

P
    P
    I agree that as long as you're happy at home there's no need to send your child to preschool - she'll be fine!

[quote=Kathie_K
    If you child is gifted, you'll be much better able to nurture her unique gifts at home than a teacher will be able to do in a preschool setting where she has the needs of a large group to consider.
    [/quote]

I don't entirely agree with this - I do agree that you can nurture your child's unique gifts at home, but we also had some wonderful experiences at preschool for each of our children. Our preschool groups were never larger than 6-8 children per teacher, and usually were combined in a way such that there were 2 teachers and not more than 10 children in the class at any given time. In our case we chose Montessori, but I think the kind of preschool doesn't matter as much as the staff and the setting. Perhaps we were lucky, but we've had friends who also had great experiences with preschool at other schools in our town, so I don't think we were unusually lucky in our experience. Overall, for our kids, preschool was a great experience because they had the security of another set of adults who loved them, combined with the social aspect of being with other kids which in turn spurned their creative imaginations. Yes, they would have been fine at home, but they also did well having some place different to go and having the extra kids to be with. It also gave me a chance to refresh and recharge which, when my EG ds was preschool age, was extremely helpful - he was one of the kids who questions things intensely all the time and never stops thinking - he was so much fun to be with and I loved that about him, but it was honestly also quite exhausting!

And they would have been ok at home too - just wanted to point out, preschool doesn't have to be a second tier choice, it can work out well.

polarbear

P
    P
    I would probably classify "preschool" for 14 month olds more as "daycare" renamed for marketing purposes. At this age I enrolled dd, who was AMAZINGLY social, in Gymboree, music classes, programs at the library and swim lessons. All were parent/child programs so we met a large number of moms with kids very close in age. We ended up forming an incredible play group and at the age of 7 many of those babies and moms are still our best friends. Interestingly I believe that most of the kids have also turned out to be gifted although we originally became "a group" because of similar parenting style and matched temperaments of the kids. It worked out great for us.

W
    W
    I put DD in a 2s program when she turned 2 in Sept. And I do not regret it. Although I had "buyer's remorse" the first couple of weeks. Her separation issues lasted a few days only, I was crying as I left for 3 weeks.

As an extrovert, she really liked being with kids but it was a playgroup. And I recommend that at this age. Even though she started reading and was ahead, just the whole play, socialization is something that is age relavent.

It's possible to over-interpret the parallel play thing. It doesn't mean that they're not interested in other kids, aren't learning from and about other kids, and aren't developing individual relationships with particular kids. Not to say that a preschool setting is developmentally neccessary at that age, but if they do go, they get something out of it.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Are play groups just as good? I do have access to those and other events once in awhile.

I don't think *I'm* ready to let her go anywhere during the day and it seems unnecessary to do it in that case. My friend suggested I need to "cut the cord" a little. Even breastfeed less. But I don't want to... It still seems fine.

DH was horrified when I brought up day care / preschool last night. He said.. "She is too young! That's ridiculous! I'm NOT sending my baby away from me."
    He's become very attached since he became unemployed and is watching her most of the day. wink

He and I are also very into the idea of homeschooling and even unschooling to a certain extent, so it sounds even crazier that I asked him that. I'm just trying to be truly open minded about it.

Last edited by islandofapples; 01/29/12 01:05 PM.
    C
    C
    I don't think I'd want to make general pronouncements, but our experience was that DS was in nursery nominally full time from 10 months until he went to school. In practice DH and I had flexible hours and he'd be there typically there 10-4ish, less to start with. He took a few weeks to settle in, but after that he loved it almost always, and still talks fondly of it (at 8). Of course I don't know how he'd have been without it, but my intuition is that it helped him hugely with forming relationships and generally interacting both with other adults and with other children. I think we were lucky with the nursery: they had very low staff turnover, so he formed real relationships with the staff, most of whom were impressive; the nursery was attached to the university where we work, and so I think "gifted enriched"; and they made almost no attempt to do academic things with the children, so his being ahead there was never an issue. They were age-sorted inside, but they all played together in the garden a lot, and he often played with older children there. Indeed, the worst fit was the last year, when he was one of the oldest children there. He was a late talker, so he never experienced the frustration of trying to hold conversations with completely non-talking kids. If I have to put my finger on one major benefit, I'd say that it was that he got plenty of practice in *not* always being the centre of attention, instantly responded to etc. - he's very good at self-entertaining and fitting in (much better than either parent at the latter ;-), and I credit nursery for starting him off on that path.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Originally Posted by islandofapples
    Are play groups just as good?
    Of course. In your original message you said you were having trouble finding enough groups and things, but at 14 months I wouldn't even worry about it too much yet.

My friend suggested I need to "cut the cord" a little. Even breastfeed less. But I don't want to... It still seems fine.
    Don't listen to your friend. Kids don't need you to "cut the cord." If they experience secure attachment when they're little, they become plenty independent in their own time.

If you don't need the childcare hours, and you don't want to do it, and your kid is happy, I don't see any reason why you should feel like you should do preschool.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Are play groups just as good?
    Of course. In your original message you said you were having trouble finding enough groups and things, but at 14 months I wouldn't even worry about it too much yet.
    Weelll... I agree with the last part, but not with the first. "Playgroups" in the sense that islandofapples means are, I think, mother-and-child occasions. I don't think that interacting with other people in the presence of your mother is remotely the same as doing so in her absence. At some point, you do have to learn to do that - but it doesn't have to be at 14 months, and in fact children who never do it before starting school generally do fine too. I think you consider all the options carefully, and do what feels right.

My friend suggested I need to "cut the cord" a little. Even breastfeed less. But I don't want to... It still seems fine.
    Don't listen to your friend. Kids don't need you to "cut the cord." If they experience secure attachment when they're little, they become plenty independent in their own time.
    Totally agree with MegMeg here. What you need to do is to be alert to signs of growing independence and encourage it as and when your child is ready - pushing it is counterproductive. (FWIW, DS breastfed for more than 3 years after starting fulltime nursery. For me, 2 years old was the point at which I consciously shifted from feeling he pretty much had a right to breastfeed when he wanted to if I could make it possible, to feeling that my preferences mattered significantly too. Worked for us.)

If you don't need the childcare hours, and you don't want to do it, and your kid is happy, I don't see any reason why you should feel like you should do preschool.
    I agree. I do think it's worthwhile to keep the issue on your radar, in case you feel differently later.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...