Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 308 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    H
    H
    The program is only at certain schools so if your child does qualify and your school is not one of the selected cluster campuses your child will have to transfer to the selected participating school. I went to a meeting earlier in the year about the program and they are hoping to expand it but for now it is only at, I think, 11 elementary schools. I have heard really good things about the program though.

X
    X
    Has anyone heard back from school that their child has been invited to this program this year?
    What has been the cutoff score of various grades. any ideas.
    The program looks quite interesting. Wonder how high the MAP scores of these kids are.
    Do these kids do exceptionally well in MAP tests and class tests as well (after entering the program)?

The idea of changing school does not seem appealing.

I
    I
    What I really don't like about Math Rocks is that it has a cut off age so if you don't get in during elementary school, you don't get in at all. I think that children can make big leaps and changes during the gap between elementary and middle school so it really isn't fair that they just cut it off.

But maybe I'm biased since my daughter didn't make it into Math Rocks in elementary school but now in middle school she has a five point MAP difference with her best friend who did make it in.

And now, well, let's just say that she's more than a little angry. :P

E
    E
    We moved from San Antonio at the beginning school year last year. Rice MS (PISD) placed him in Honors Math however I found about Math Rocks later and sent email to the counselor but she did not respond.

My son was later selected for PACE and continued to go to Honors Math in 6th grade. Reading all posts I have a feeling Math Rocks is better or at least my son should be given an opportunity to attend Match Rocks when he returns for 7th Grade

Would like to know if it is better for a 7th Grader to be in Math Honors or Match Rocks or Both? We are blessed to have a hardworking, independent, and responsible kid. I am sure he would love to be in both programs.

Please compare Math Honors with Math Rocks to help parents relatively new to PISD

Thanks!

T
    tao Offline
    T
    Does anyone knows the textbooks used by Math rocks program? Thanks.

J
    Jac Offline
    J
    My understanding is that the score is calculated using the average of the winter and spring MAP scores. I think the cutoff for getting into math rocks with third grade scores has been in the 236-238 range.

B
    B
    My son using Math Rocks. Like previously stated, children qualify in 2nd going into 3rd, 3rd going into 4th, 4th going into 5th, or 5th going into 6th. It is solely based upon the average of winter and spring MAP scores. Depending upon what grade your child is currently in depends upon how many standard deviations higher than their peers their average must be. There is no set number since it varies year to year per the peer group.

We are very happy with the program. Our son loves the program and his Math Rocks teacher.

I don't know that it is possible to say the text is a particular book. Often he is working on things not in a text, the homework that comes home tends to be more work that the teacher seemed to create her own work. I have seen 2-3 different books come home as well.

C
    C
    Hi
    My son is in 3rd grade.Can anyone help me understand as how much his score should be this year to qualify for this program He is pretty good at maths.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM