Originally Posted by triplejmom
Originally Posted by CalvinsDad
Minecraft is a big fav among gifted kids. My DS12 loves it. http://www.minecraft.net/

Question on minecraft...Does the download program need a fairly quick computer? My sons hand me down laptop isn't the quickest and won't run Lego Universe (for example), but he stumbled onto Minecraft youtube videos and now has been begging me to buy it for him. I was thinking of adding it to his computer for a Christmas present as it didn't look too high tech graphics wise. Do you think it would work? Also, I noticed you can purchase a code for online or download it. Which works best? Thanks to anyone who has dealt with this program.

Minecraft runs pretty easily on the computer my DS has, which is not top of the line by any means. I'm not sure about a laptop, I haven't tried that myself. I guess it depends on exactly what the laptop is.

The difference between online and download is wether you want him to play on his own or with others. You haven't said his age, but I'm personally reluctant for my 5 yo and 3 yo who play to go online with others in the public domain - that's an online one. BUT I am happy for them to play on the local network with each other. The later requires the down load.