Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by SiaSL
    If you asked your son what his favorites/least favorites/weirdest reads have been it might be possible to tailor more recommendations (I skimmed some of the contents of my shelves with an eye to giving some to my son, and realized that what I thought of as "young" had some rather mature themes for a 7yo).

Oh, and does he like fantasy?

SiaSL, I love your idea about asking him about his "wierdest" reads - I've asked about his favorite/least favorite before, but never thought to ask about wierd, which I think would be a question he could really get into!

My ds is camping with Boy Scouts this weekend so I can't ask him today, but fwiw he loved Ender's Game (he also read it in something like 1/2 a day - which is another challenge with books - finding a book that takes more than 1/2 a day to read - he really loves reading when it's a book he's interested in, so he devours it and then gets depressed because he finishes it and there's nothing left in the house to read - picture me banging my head against the wall frequently lol!).

He read War of the Worlds but didn't like it - when we talked about it, my impression was he just didn't like Wells' writing style.

He's not particularly into fantasy.

polarbear

S
    S
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    SiaSL, I love your idea about asking him about his "wierdest" reads - I've asked about his favorite/least favorite before, but never thought to ask about wierd, which I think would be a question he could really get into!

It is the best way I can think of to filter themes that a child might find disturbing in reading materials targeted to an older audience. Some will have less impact on a younger child, who will filter it all out, than on a teenager, who is more likely to get influenced by something that touches on themes that start being relevant to him/her. Reason why the group sex in Heinlein's _Stranger in a Strange Land_ at... 12? 13? was less of a problem for me than the promiscuous teenager (turned incestuous mother) in _To Sail Beyond the Sunset_ at 16 (yes, late Heinlein is *that* weird).

Also reason why all those dead/tortured kids bothered me a lot less as a teen than they do now that I am a mother shocked.

If your son liked _Ender's Game_ look into the _Ender's Shadows_ series. I haven't read them yet (_Enfer's Game_ was a favorite, but _Xenocide_ was close to "hit the wall, do not open again" for me and I dropped the series, and the author) but people who persevered with Card liked it.

[quote=SiaSL] but fwiw he loved Ender's Game (he also read it in something like 1/2 a day - which is another challenge with books - finding a book that takes more than 1/2 a day to read - he really loves reading when it's a book he's interested in, so he devours it and then gets depressed because he finishes it and there's nothing left in the house to read

This is a sad problem... I force myself to ration out books now because I Hate when they are done. Amazon gets more of my $$ than I should care to admit. The kindle is probably my most favorite thing ever, lol.

~amy
    I think he's read most of the sci-fi type books you find on the teen shelf at the book store.

Thanks,

polarbear

I am going to stick to harder scify with some complex ideas and that I think would appeal to a PG kid of 11. By hard scify I mean the author tries hard to use known laws of physics and a mostly believable plot. Each work should then tell him if he wants to go further.

These stories are so funny you will throw up.

http://www.madscientistsclub.com/MSC/Home.html

A great one by Heinlein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podkayne_of_Mars

This one makes you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Step-Farther-Out-Jerry-Pournelle/dp/0441785832

L'Engle.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrinkle-Time-Madeleine-LEngle/dp/0440498058

Some of the best scify from the 70s. Most of Niven's other stuff is a bit too much until 14 or so - but if Jerry is on the cover, the latter's Catholic roots keep the sex part out. ( Jerry still writes a blog and was a PG kid growing up in the middle of no where. )

http://www.amazon.com/Mote-Gods-Eye-Larry-Niven/dp/0671741926/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Hal Clement's "heavy" stories. Not to be missed.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FA5UA...IKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RX0HV85XGRREQH0Q4BD

Asimov's Foundation series.

http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Novels-Isaac-Asimov/dp/0553382578/ref=pd_sim_b_20

Greg Bear's take on the Singularity.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Music-G...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1321875989&sr=1-1

And this one by Vinge.

http://www.amazon.com/Peace-War-Ver...UTF8&qid=1321876032&sr=1-1-spell

Clarke:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fall_of_Moondust

Anne Mcaffrey and her Dragons are there for when he is 14.

Last edited by Austin; 11/21/11 05:03 AM.
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    G�del, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid (not exactly sci-fi but includes fiction and essays on science), by Douglas R. Hofstadter
    The Mind's I (more thought-provoking essays that include sci-fi), edited by Hofstadter et al.

I cannot recommend GEB too highly.

Also, most things by Bach.

http://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Livingston-Seagull-Richard-Bach/dp/0380012863

N
    N
    Harry Harrison's "Stainless Steel Rat" series is a good possibility, although you may want to vet it yourself first; Jim DiGriz is a cheerful criminal in a society where there is almost no crime remaining. It's a hedonistic romp through the galaxy, with his own perfectly rational justifications, of course, but he is not violent and in fact hires on with the intergalactic police to catch a violent criminal they're having a hard time with. For all but the first book, he is working for the good guys, but he keeps his fingers in the till along the way. smile I can't recall exactly how much sexual reference there may be, but I don't think it was much, overtly.

If he's into any kind of fantasy, there is Piers Anthony -- the Xanth series is horrifically punny; the Apprentice Adept series part SF and part Fantasy and lots of fun, about a planet that is scientific with a hidden alternate reality of magic; the Incarnations of Immortality series is about the beings that inhabit the personas of Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature, and Good and Evil, also quite fascinating and fun; the Geodyssey series takes one family from the beginnings of prehistoric man all the way to post-apocalypse -- the same people feature in each chapter but move along in Earth's history, if that makes sense -- it's great if you're interested in the progression of civilization and language, and a good story to boot.

There is also Robert Asprin, the Myth series, if he's into punny fantasy.

A
    A
    Some Piers Anthony is definitely adult-themed and some is overtly erotica. The Xanth books are pretty "kid-safe", and great for people who like puns. The "Bio of a Space Tyrant" series is not "kid-safe". "Eroma" is not. At least some of the "Relationships" collections are not.

Originally Posted by aculady
    Some Piers Anthony is definitely adult-themed and some is overtly erotica. The Xanth books are pretty "kid-safe", and great for people who like puns. The "Bio of a Space Tyrant" series is not "kid-safe". "Eroma" is not. At least some of the "Relationships" collections are not.

And I seem to recall significant roles for succubi in the aforementioned "Incarnations of Immortality" series.

N
    N
    Oh dear, yes -- I forgot about that part. Sorry. I need to have a better memory for these things, as I keep trying to find books among my collection that might interest DS9 and coming up short on something that I hadn't thought of. But then, Ender's Game startled me in places (mostly the Peter ones) when we started reading that! I had read it several times myself, but I wasn't a child at the time.

I'd also consider Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie as well.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM