Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    I used to do that when I was around that age--either math or science books. I still like thinking about number theory sort of stuff if I'm having trouble sleeping...

K
    K
    Originally Posted by MamaJA
    LOL! Sounds "normal" in our house!! hehe!

Exactly what I was thinking! My DS6 says "I just can't turn my brain off to go to sleep!" So we let him have books, math workbooks, a journal and pencil in bed. He seems to actually fall asleep faster with all of those things than if we don't allow him to bring anything to bed. He is such a talker also, so I bought him a voice recorder and he brings that to bed sometimes too. It gives him something to do to wind himself down.

75west Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the comments smile. My husband and I found it a little odd, but support him bringing the math book to bed. We regard math as 'work' and don't find it relaxing at all so the thought of bringing a math book to bed is not even remotely on our radar screen. And although my brother is quite bright (probably hg/eg) and did very well in math and sailed through it (much better than me or my sister), he never brought a math book to bed either.

I guess my eg/pg son has a level of comfort and intimacy with math that we never had or ever will!! I was a bit struck with it because he hasn't been doing any math at home either as homework or on his own accord for about 6 months or more and then all of a sudden it seems he's bringing a math book to bed.

I haven't tried the Life of Fred books yet. We've got the Math to Know, Math on Hand, and Math on Call from a yard sale but no idea how these compare. My pg son started to multiply visually about 6 months ago at school on day, but since then he hasn't done any math at home. I've looked at Greg Tang books, but they didn't peak my son's interest, even though he's a very visual learner.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM