Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    The main qualification criteria are two out of the three: qualifying IQ score, qualifying achievement score, and portfolio. The IQ score doesn't have to be really close, or even submitted, if one has a qualifying achievement score and portfolio, but I'd submit it anyway.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    A
    A
    Yes, you only need either IQ or achievement if you have a good portfolio.

And I think a portfolio just means a few samples of a kid doing something as good as a kid a few years older. But they want something the kid does, not something you told them to do so they know they weren't just following directions. Some common items I've seen mentioned are things like original writings or a video of a kid describing their favorite subject.

Eta: I googled. A portfolio needs 4 pieces of something 2-3 years advanced and it can include assigned work as long as they did it theirself.
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

Last edited by La Texican; 03/31/12 06:26 PM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    U
    U
    It's interesting that for the Epilson Math camp the minimum score on the SB5 is 140 while the minimum score for the WISC is 145.

http://www.epsiloncamp.org/who_is_eligible.php

This would suggest that they do not agree that mathy kids score higher on the SB5

Originally Posted by Iucounu
    The main qualification criteria are two out of the three: qualifying IQ score, qualifying achievement score, and portfolio. The IQ score doesn't have to be really close, or even submitted, if one has a qualifying achievement score and portfolio, but I'd submit it anyway.

I'm too lazy to look this up, but I think DYS requires you to send any and all IQ tests taken, whether or not you are using it to get into the program. Anyone know for sure?

Originally Posted by herenow
    I'm too lazy to look this up, but I think DYS requires you to send any and all IQ tests taken, whether or not you are using it to get into the program. Anyone know for sure?
    That's my current understanding. But it's fine if all of the information isn't over the cutoff, as long as 2 of 3 are.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by herenow
    Originally Posted by Iucounu

I know for sure that it's not true at least in all cases, because we weren't required to do that. DS6 had a disastrous first testing experience with the school psychologist on a subset of the DAS II prior to our finding a great outside tester.

The full report from the outside tester referred to the school psych's testing, but we weren't required to submit scores from it at all (we didn't have a full report anyway, just some subtest scores with scatter from well below average, including some zeros, to 99.99999th+ percentile, and a note that not much could be drawn from the results). We also mentioned the prior testing in our application.

The difference in our case might have been that it wasn't a full test, but I don't know. I don't recall the extent to which his scores might have qualified him from that test based on the selection of parts administered either. In any event I think it's not a bad idea to submit whatever one has.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    My DYS took the SB-5 at 4 years 9 months old and the WISC-IV at 8 years 9 months old and the FSIQ was the same for both tests. He is a pretty mathy kid.

It was interesting to be able to see the different areas that each test tested. On the SB-5 the Quantative Reasoning was the highest subtest along with Working Memory. The WISC-IV show strengths in Perceptual Reasoning and Working Memory.

We also used the same tester for both tests so I am fairly certain that we have a good idea of his IQ.

In my opinion having both tests done might give you a more accurate assessment. However I do feel that the tester could play a role as well.

Last edited by crisc; 04/05/12 07:48 AM.

Crisc
    U
    U
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    I only remember the DAS because I think it was much cheaper than the others.

I found very little info on the DAS-ii on this forum or elsewhere. Are there other reasons why to take it over the SB5 or WISC? Does it conceptualize 'intelligence' any differently?

Sometimes it is easier to find a tester who is credentialed to do the DAS than the SB5 - so it's an option for 5 year olds if you can't find a tester to do SB5.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs