Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 94 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    N
    My son is only 8 - yes, he got straight A's on this report card (first report with letter grades). He got 100% on all the 4th grade math tests he took.(he's in 3rd). He is very well behaved in school. Having said that - he IS only 8, so I don't think getting A's in such a hard thing at that age. Also - I don't know exactly how gifted he is. Things may well change as he ages. We'll see smile

M
    M
    Originally Posted by NCPMom
    My son is only 8 - yes, he got straight A's on this report card (first report with letter grades). He got 100% on all the 4th grade math tests he took.(he's in 3rd). He is very well behaved in school. Having said that - he IS only 8, so I don't think getting A's in such a hard thing at that age. Also - I don't know exactly how gifted he is. Things may well change as he ages. We'll see smile

He should be very proud of himself.

My son, 8 also has been getting letter grades for the past 2 years. This year was the first he was able to get on the honor roll. He moves around at school to 4th for literacy and 5th for math.

I firmly believe in making a big deal about these things. He loves school and is very well behaved also. Positive reinforcement is possibly the best too you have.

JMO

Last edited by mecreature; 11/07/11 12:04 PM.
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    I'd be curious how many parents have the straight-a-ers and how many are in my boat.

I've got the "straight A" child. It is hard to simultaneously acknowledge the work that went into getting those grades, and to celebrate the learning that occurred, while also letting her know that grades like that also probably mean the classes could have been a little harder.

Last edited by herenow; 11/07/11 12:58 PM.
    I
    I
    ABQmom, I have one like yours. A high school junior now, she is reluctantly focusing on grades/pleasing teachers now. Mostly because she has realized if she wants to go to college with the smarter kids, it is a requirement. But she is NOT a people pleaser by nature. She would much rather dig into the things she likes in depth (biology, bugs, Shakespeare, Poe, Quiz Bowl studying), and to heck with whatever the teacher wants her to do at the moment. She is forever calculating whether she REALLY has to do that homework assignment tonight, or whether she can just pull it together in the car on the way to school the next morning.

She is planning to go in and see her HS principal next week to see if she can do something other than take the one 11th grade (no honors, no AP) English course for next semester. But I doubt she got an A this quarter in English (A-/B+ is more likely, grades are not out yet), so I worry that they may say no because she did not grab every point so far. She is very annoyed at the slow pace, superficial analysis, and middle-school like assignments this semester. But she also lost a draft of a paper (peer reviewed) that was part of an assignment and got an F, and was late turning in her grammar workbook a few times. Enough to drag the grade down. It would be a lot easier to get the school to let her try something different if she had gotten a solid A.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Here's hoping lots of people who don't know it all already read it... I like this quote:
    For example, you may have a 7 year old who enjoys pointing out the discrepancies between Galileo and Aristotle and questioning her mother's good friend's definition of death, using a principle of string theory she viewed to her delight several times on PBS or who has noticed a commonality between a Virginia Woolf short story and a science experiment in photosynthesis. Or who has talked about protagonists and antagonists in stories with comprehension for several years and wondered what "agonist" might have to do with each word-to the point that the parent "must" look it up.
    Yup, got one of them :-)

Wow, this quote really resonated with me, too. I think I have the three-year-old version. She finds commonalities between everything. I think her most used phrases are "that's just like..." and "this reminds me of..." ( She does not know Virginia Woolf, but can explain photosynthesis and cellular respiration-- what is needed, who does what, products and byproducts...) She loves language. She is constantly asking me what the opposites of words are, or pointing out irregular past tense forms and plurals, using these words, things I never explicitly taught her. Also, when she was not quite 2.5 she asked me how "dehydrate" related to "carbohydrate" just out of the blue and then wanted to know what "carbo" meant.

At the moment she is only motivated by imaginary stickers that she keeps track of on her shirt.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM