Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 421 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    We've had to have our older, gifted child stop calling his younger brother "my little butthead" after the brother got a 99.1% on the Raven IQ test and > 160 on the RIAS. I actually wasn't sure he was gifted since for a long time, he would say things like "I do-ed it," instead of "I did it." Etc.
    Sometimes you can't tell! He's reading at a third grade level in first grade now and I think he is just taking off. Our older boy has always been super articulate, using complex words and ideas. Our younger one never did- he watched alot of Sponge Bob. My husband, who seems like a pretty bright guy (he's a lawyer) drinks beer and likens himself to Homer Simpson; he always would say our younger one takes after his (ungifted) side of the family!

Originally Posted by jack'smom
    Sometimes you can't tell! ... My husband, who seems like a pretty bright guy (he's a lawyer) drinks beer and likens himself to Homer Simpson; he always would say our younger one takes after his (ungifted) side of the family!

My wife was the same way (minus the beer and Homer). Since I'm the nerd in the family, she assumed our DD takes after me. Then we started reading about giftedness to understand what we had with DD, and suddenly my wife started noticing things about her brother and his boys that fit the profile.

Not that I was surprised... I remembered what she'd done early in our marriage when she took an interest in cooking that bordered on obsessive. It started out with Food Network nearly 24x7, cookbooks wherever she could find them, constant experimentation, and ended up with a full-time cooking school, where she stood far above the rest of her classmates. Classic gifted behavior.

D
    doclori Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Got a call from the principal today . . . she wanted to make sure I understood that I was "deferring placement" for DD for this year (kindergarten).

There were supposed to be 2 gifted K classes -- a full class and an "overflow" mixed class. DD's in the 2nd class b/c DS ruined any relationship we had with the "regular" gifted teacher last year. Seems like a lot of the gited kids from her class got moved into the other class. There are only a few gifted kids left in the class. She's happy and learning. So I leave her where she is, right?

We had a parent-teacher meeting today. The teacher feels like DD is doing great, seems happy, learning, doesn't already know everything. We discussed some moderate acceleration for math.

Anyhow, we'll staff her, and the teacher is pretty accomodating, so if she's suddenly dying of boredom, we can find ways to challenge her.

C
    C
    We noticed our younger DS5 was bright and quick, but also noticed he was not as driven academically than his older brother, DS7.

We were pretty hands off with him until he left daycare. It was there in the new environment that his giftedness started to peak out.

We signed him up for Kumon like we did with our oldest. That environment really blossomed his talent for math

We have skipped him 2 grades and he is doing fine and is being challenged. Working on his multiplication tables now and learning cursive.

He is A-level in Kumon in both English and Math and currently in 2nd grade. The teachers in his class are speculating he may be able to jump another be we said to wait until Jan. and let's do a review.

Last edited by Cawdor; 10/31/11 11:29 AM.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM