Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    DD#2's first grade class (both the boys and the girls) really liked Pinkalicious, so I would say boys would probably like Fancy Nancy.

B
    B
    How about Martha Speaks? I've seen the show, but haven't checked out the books yet (they definitely have books). It's very similar to Fancy Nancy--I know on the show they review the new vocabulary words first that they will use on the show, then they sprinkle the words throughout the show. I think it's pretty close to what you're looking for.

@Hellobaby- I agree, I wouldn't worry so much about gender (Fancy Nancy), my son is five and we read them together w/my little one who is three. So far he hasn't complained that it's a girl's book. I think it's good anyway to expose them to different types of main characters in a book--girl, boy, dog, whatever! lol But if you do want something a bit more gender neutral, maybe check out Martha Speaks

S
    S
    My (then) 4 year old read/had read to him both Olivia and Fancy Nancy books...but that is before they get the message about sexism from fellow classmates. He is six now and I am sure he would have no problem listening to books such as these if read aloud to a group but I think at this point he wouldn't go and pick them out on his own. Well maybe Olivia because she is a hoot. (Not to mention that he is reading higher books).

My boys can almost recite my rant. There is no such thing as girl toys and boy toys...there are just toys. There is no such thing as girl books and boy books...just books. You look at each toy or book and evaluate if that would be something that would interest you.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    My boys can almost recite my rant. There is no such thing as girl toys and boy toys...there are just toys. There is no such thing as girl books and boy books...just books. You look at each toy or book and evaluate if that would be something that would interest you.

LOL, I have the same rant! Although with my DS at 3 and 4 in pre-K, not so much now (possibly because he knows the reaction) it was not about books as much as it was about colors and characters - pink, princesses, blue, etc. and it's actually hard to find books with girl characters that are outside of gender stereotypes, which is really disappointing! Even seemingly gender neutral characters are often refered to as he, I loved it when elephant of elephant and piggy turned out to be a girl (or maybe it was the reverse, it was awhile ago!)

DeHe

D
    D
    While it's true that Fancy Nancy, Eloise, and Olivia "live" in DD5's room, DS7 has never complained that the stories are for girls. DS loved Madeline when he was 3. It was passed on to DD, but only because DS moved on to other topics.

S
    S
    My older son loved Madeline too. A good book is a good book.

As far as colors, been there too.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM