Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 343 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I'm sorry Ann. It must be really hard on both of you. I hope you can get the disease under control and can find a better job for Dh. How much longer before you finish the school?

I like the idea of social worker. They may help you to find different resources.

LMom
    Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by acs
    Hi Ann,
    Any chance of getting DH on Social Security Disability Income? Have you talked to the social workers at the hospital? That would take some of the financial pressure off and might keep you in law school. Also, check with the financial aid people at your law school to see if you qualify for aid packages based on changing circumstances.

And "not killed himself" is huge. I know some who were not so lucky. So you don't sound glib to me at all.

Hugs!

Thanks Acs; I'll have to look into your suggestions! It helps to have something concrete to focus on. All I know right now is that DH is on short term disability. I'm going to meet DH's psychiatrist for the first time tomorrow. DH has finally agreed to let me go. I'm not sure why he's changed his mind now, but I'm grateful. I've only spoken to his psychiatrist twice on the phone. Each time precluded by a trip to the hospital. The first time I spoke with the psych I understood why DH likes him. DH likes plain speaking (as is his psych), is stingy with his thoughts, and never has to retract what he says. We're very different in this respect. I digress... During my initial conversation with DH's psych I told him that I was worried that I'd come home from school and DH would be dead. The psych told me "That's a very real possibility." crazy

Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by LMom
    How much longer before you finish the school?

cry I'm a 1L (first year/second semester). Two more years to go. I'm the only woman with a child in my section. I think I might actually be the oldest. Although there's a gentleman with more gray hairs than me. Sometimes I wonder if I have two heads. crazy I get bewildered looks from my classmates (i.e. I'm not young, single, childless, nor do I come from a wealthy family). It's quite a homogenous group. Different from what my DH and I were used to in the Bay Area. We live in a different state now (DH would say planet).

I wonder now if I was crazy to leave a job that I liked well enough. My immediate coworkers were great! But, I have to admit that I want to use the degree >>snort<< for good instead of evil, and that really appeals to me. wink

Hi Ann,

I just saw this thread, I was out and about yesterday. I am so sorry for what you are going through. My MIL has bipolar disorder and it is a devastating disease.
    I, too, have worried about my children. I read somewhere that the genetic opponent would more of a risk if you had it, more likely to be passed down by the mother. I haven't been able to confirm this as scientifically proven, but I hope it gives you a tiny bit of peace in these tumultuous times.
    It must have been truly frightening when DH's psychiatrist confirmed your worse fear. The most important part of this is DH is getting treatment and letting you in on it, that's huge. It doesn't take away the pressure on you though, I know it's so hard and overwhelming.
    Take it one day at a time, that' all you can do. I'll bet you are brilliant at figuring out the far-reaching outcomes and potential situations that may happen as a result of your husband's breakdown. But you should try to break it down for yourself. Don't look so far ahead. Take care of yourself too. You have friends here who are going to support you..........

Incog

Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you Incog. I find comfort and strength in your words.

Much love,
    Ann

Back at you, my friend.

E
    E
    Ann,
    I too struggle with Bi-Polar in the family. My father is diagnosed Bipolar and my husband cycles pretty much like clockwork every 18-20 months. However, he refuses to get help for it. I can relate to your fears about coming home. When DH is in the depressed stage, I hate to leave him alone for any reason.

I can also relate to your fears for your child. BiPolar is just one of the labels that they keep throwing around to try to explain DS's behaviors.

I can't imagine trying to balance the needs of DH, my son and going to law school! You are amazing smile None of your posts came across as whining. They are completely understandable posts for support and information. Keep posing and let us know how all of you are doing and if there is anything we can do to help!

The best thing about his board is the supportive nature!

I can relate to that cycle guys.....in relation to MIL, at least it is predictable.....somewhat of a comfort. MIL has been mad as the dickens at us for whatever idea she had been convinced was the most crucial think in the world a month or so again.
    Now........the silent treatment.
    But, as in years past, I will look forward to her calling 3 to 4 days before Easter, demanding that we spend it with her and act as if she didn't just say the most terrible things to us.
    My DH does not have bi-polar, but is left with a mild cycling mood disorder. Who knows if it's genetic or conditioning. I know his childhood was less than perfect as a result of MIL's illness.
    "Managing the cycle" get's tiring, doesn't it?

I

OH BTW, as I understand it, there is a commonality between bipolar and high intelligence. Sorry to hear your son is being "misdiagnosed" at school''

I

E
    E
    OHGrandma,
    Thank you for the link on Sleep. I have learned to recognize when DH is changing cycles by his sleep patterns. Also, when his sleep schedule changes so does his eating pattern. In fact, I've had a bit of luck in seeing that his sleep pattern is changing and calling him on it. If he is able to get his sleep pattern back to "normal" it seems to lessen the extremes of the cycle.

It was reassuring to read that research is backing up my intuition smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs