Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    jaylivg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Actually the school never really mentioned about him and adhd , but i am sensing it with the way his teacher sent me emails / notes , they wanted us to have him checked for it . that's why we took him to the pediatrician , and she gave us questionnaire , that me , my husband , and teacher had to fill out . Which turned out , pediatrician said , no adhd .

So , i guess i have to see what options the school can give us , and maybe from there , we'll see if he needs to be tested or not . But i will keep in mind , if he needs to be tested , then i probably will have him tested outside school . Do you know if there is a list where i can find a pyschologist in my area that specialize in gifted children ??

thanks !!

A
    A

J
    jaylivg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Just an update , we had a conference with the teacher and principal , and i showed them the paper from his doctor that our son doesn't have adhd , his principal agreed , said she already knew , but she's thankful that we took the time to have him tested .

Anyway , because his reading is at 5th grade level , and he's only in the 1st grade , the principal suggested that he will be going to 2nd grade for reading class . I thought they would the same with math , but they didn't say anything , he is pulled out for advanced math 3x45 minutes a week , but the differentiate teacher wanted him to learn basic stuff . So i guess he's stuck at 1st grade still for the math ..

And no testing is needed because it's only showed what they already knew .

D
    D
    It amazes me that the school sees that he can read fifth grade books, but puts him in second grade for reading. Why don't they put the kids at their level as long as they're agreeing to acceleration in the first place?

"Actually the school never really mentioned about him and adhd , but i am sensing it with the way his teacher sent me emails / notes , they wanted us to have him checked for it . that's why we took him to the pediatrician , and she gave us questionnaire , that me , my husband , and teacher had to fill out . Which turned out , pediatrician said , no adhd ."

I just went through this last year, only to find out that my daughter is not ADHD, but gifted and talented. This past week I came across "Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities or Supersensativities in gifted children" and I was blown away by the description that seems to be my daughter!

Now I'm trying to find out what to do about it, as the school has scheduled a meeting with me for this year, and my daughters grades are not being effected.

The main complaints are: She has trouble focusing, forgets to do routine tasks, talks out of turn, dis-ruptive... and now is not doing class work.

I've had my daughter taking a homeopathic, all natural herb and vitamin to calm her and try to help with her focus, and that seems to have helped significantly, but apparently not enough. I'm at a loss of how I can help her.

"It takes courage to grow up and be who you really are." by E.E. Cummings
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by AllieOop
    I just went through this last year, only to find out that my daughter is not ADHD, but gifted and talented. This past week I came across "Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities or Supersensativities in gifted children" and I was blown away by the description that seems to be my daughter!

What kind of practitioner evaluated your DD, and did they actually rule out ADHD and other developmental disabilities?

Originally Posted by AllieOop
    The main complaints are: She has trouble focusing, forgets to do routine tasks, talks out of turn, dis-ruptive... and now is not doing class work.

This can be just an intense child, or it can be ADHD or Asperger's. Or other things. I'd suggest a thorough evaluation to screen for all possibilities.

IMO the problem with the "overexcitabilities" theory is that it potentially excuses a problem rather than solving it. Calling the disruptiveness a manifestation of giftedness won't make it go away. Understanding and working on the problem, whether through behavior therapy, meds, or other means, usually will help. To me, that's enough reason to carefully seek a cause.

DeeDee

J
    jaylivg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by doclori
    It amazes me that the school sees that he can read fifth grade books, but puts him in second grade for reading. Why don't they put the kids at their level as long as they're agreeing to acceleration in the first place?

I have to agree with you , but i also can understand the school's point of view , from the level maturity , putting him in the 5th grade for reading class probably wouldn't be such a good idea , although he can follow the subject , but he still has a mentality for a 6 years old , he's not mature enough . So i think 2nd grade is a good start , at least it's something .

I am just wondering why the differentiate learning teacher thinks that teaching him the basic 1st grade math ( with a little challenging things ) is a better idea than teaching him what he's capable of . He was tested for math and though they didn't say what level his math is but his teacher said the result was very high , but that particular teacher still thinks teaching them the basic math is still better . Why not letting him do what he's capable of .. i don't understand either .

J
    jaylivg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J

Now I'm trying to find out what to do about it, as the school has scheduled a meeting with me for this year, and my daughters grades are not being effected.

I have the same problem , i was called only 2 weeks after school started in august , but i didn't know what i was called to be told that our son is a gifted student . Because for the first 2 weeks of school he's been coming home with notes and his teacher emailed me , same complains that you mentioned , except he doesn't mind doing the school work , the problem is , he complains that everything was too easy and that he wants to keep going and going on working on the pages in the book , until the teacher had to stop him and now she won't allow him to go any further than the rest of the class .. he has to wait which is pretty awful considering he wants to keep going and knows how to do it , but not allowed .

I had him tested for adhd too , and doc said no , the school never mentioned to have him tested for adhd , because the school was the first one who informed me that our son was gifted . I didn't know he was gifted until they told us !!But we did the test anyway just to be sure , the school thanked us for making the time to have him tested although she mentioned she was quite sure that wasn't the reason .

I am trying to remove anything sweet from his breakfast , most of the time it helps , try that too , who knows it might help . For me , hopefully by giving him some challenging stuff now at school will help him .

Originally Posted by jaylivg
    So i think 2nd grade is a good start , at least it's something .

I am just wondering why the differentiate learning teacher thinks that teaching him the basic 1st grade math ( with a little challenging things ) is a better idea than teaching him what he's capable of . He was tested for math and though they didn't say what level his math is but his teacher said the result was very high , but that particular teacher still thinks teaching them the basic math is still better . Why not letting him do what he's capable of .. i don't understand either .

Sounds like you've made a bit of progress getting a "better educational fit" for your son. It is a start. When will he start going to the 2nd grade classroom for reading?

Do you know what test they gave him for math? What would you think about asking the school for your son's scores?

Do you have a sense of what kind of math your son is capable of doing? Has he shown you he has learned math not taught in his classroom?

Originally Posted by jaylivg
    And no testing is needed because it's only showed what they already knew .

Do I understand that the school doesn't think you should pursue educational testing because they already know he is gifted?

Last edited by herenow; 10/10/11 07:48 PM.
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM