Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
Oh here is the wording they used...
"A has concictently demonstrated Basic to Advanced academic proficiency within the general education classroom. Current CST (District wide test teachers use for report card) scores indicate Advanced proficiency. The District is required to utilize a Response to Intervention (RTI) approach in order to address any (eg behavioral) factors which may be interfering with her academic performance before proceeding with a Special Education assessment. The District will also offer to hold a parent conference/team meeting in order to address any concerns."

RTI is complicated. It's supposed to mean that kids who need help get help right away even before the cumbersome evaluation process; but some districts use it as a way to put off assessment, which is an incorrect application of the RTI concept. You should read up at Wrightslaw; I think there is a recent ruling that limits how long they can use RTI unsuccessfully before evaluating.

If they've been trying to help your child for some years without results, it's time to request an evaluation again, in writing, listing all areas of concern.

I would also seek outside evaluation at the same time; outside evaluators use different strategies and are typically more thorough than school evaluations can be.

Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
But also, I think the first thing I'm asking when we have this meeting is "If, according to YOUR measure, my kid is UNLIKE 98% of the kids, WHY are you trying to treat her like she is LIKE that 98%"?

I wouldn't use that strategy, actually. I'd focus objectively on the ways in which your DD is continuing to struggle in school. Bringing outside evaluation material to the table is one of the best ways to show them what you're seeing; but you should also be documenting every difficulty, in ink, with the date, so you have a record to refer to.

DeeDee