Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Oh and my son came home Friday very excited that he had the top score in the class on his math MAP test. It was 221. How good is that?

My 5th grader got a 236 and was also told she was the top score in her class.

Last edited by Gypsy; 09/25/11 04:11 PM.
    Gypsy-be sure to search on DYS here on the forum. You may want your daughter to take the Explore test this year -- it is a relatively inexpensive achievement test through your regional talent search.

A
    A
    GAI would be 156. The extended scoring was already computed for you above - Vocabulary is the only subtest that moved, scaled score 20.

Originally Posted by aculady
    Theses are absolutely "Apply to DYS" numbers. Have the psychologist who tested your child both compute the GAI and use the extended scoring, and the numbers should come out high enough to qualify with no additional portfolio support.

This is a bit for my own edification but wouldn't her ds's verbal comprehension of 152 be enough to get her started on that application? Not that the GAI isn't important to have, but that I thought he already qualified with that VCI.

Last edited by herenow; 09/25/11 04:30 PM.
    A
    A
    I recommend filling out your DYS paperwork ASAP, so that you can take advantage of their resources and help with advocacy for your child. Don't despair - there are a lot of summer programs and other opportunities for profoundly gifted youth that offer financial aid, and you can find tons of free resources on the Web that can help you "feed the monster". I would worry more about making sure that you get a reasonable fit for your child now and work on what he needs in a few years in a few years - because he might be way beyond what you now think would be appropriate for him then by the time you get there, or he might be going in an entirely different direction than you expect.

A
    A
    Hmm...I was pretty sure that the qualifying achievement was in the math scores, so wasn't sure whether just VCI + math achievement would work.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Gypsy
    However, there is no grade acceleration and no gifted program at all.
    Our school district does not do grade acceleration either, or I should say, they did not, until we requested and challenged them. We even had to sign that we are doing it against the school district�s recommendations. We are so glad we did, it was the best decision we could have made. Of course we have new challenges, but that it is a different story. I just wanted to say, that grade acceleration could be an option if you are ready to fight for it and you have test scores to support you. We did it before we had the test scores.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Gypsy
    Oh and my son came home Friday very excited that he had the top score in the class on his math MAP test. It was 221. How good is that?

My 5th grader got a 236 and was also told she was the top score in her class.

You can see the MAP comparative data here.

236 is just below the 95th percentile for 5th grade. It is a very good score for a 5th grader, and is, in fact, an average score for an 11th grader.

221 is a great score for a 1st grader, well above the 95th percentile for a 3rd grader, and is an average score for a 6th grader.

I hope this gives you some perspective.

It can be overwhelming. [hugs]

ETA: It is great that your district uses the MAP, because it gives you a way to advocate for acceleration by using their own data and without referencing grade skips. These scores are indicators of what children are ready to learn next, so you can very reasonably request that your children be grouped with others who have similar MAP scores.

Last edited by aculady; 09/25/11 05:02 PM.
    G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by aculady
    GAI would be 156. The extended scoring was already computed for you above - Vocabulary is the only subtest that moved, scaled score 20.

I'm sorry, I'm very new at this.... so how does that change his IQ?

What is a 156 GAI comparable to?

Isn't DYS for profoundly gifted kids? Is my ds considered profoundly gifted? if so, how?

I need to know what I'm talking about when I talk to the principal at his school. I don't want to have her ask a question and me have no idea what she's talking about! Is there a FAQ on parenting/educational choices for gifted kids?

Thanks!!!

G
    Gypsy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by herenow
    Gypsy-be sure to search on DYS here on the forum. You may want your daughter to take the Explore test this year -- it is a relatively inexpensive achievement test through your regional talent search.

How would this benefit her?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM