Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    Bug-House, you ain't the only one! I have been fighting the school with my 2nd child, and my 3rd is languishing. Last year in second grade, she scored 2 points below - TWO POINTS BELOW - the NWEA level for math. Her teacher bugged and bugged the gifted program. DD taught math to her class all year.

Well, how are you supposed to test on harder math that you haven't been taught? Of course she didn't test there this year either.

We were looking at the "Colorado Growth Model" scoring for our district. Her school is at the 13th percentile for Colorado schools helping girls to move ahead in their math scores.

DD's new teacher told us they will challenge her during "math RTI" time. Thursday I picked her up during this time - it's the last 1/2 hour of the day - and they were cleaning out their desks. I asked her what they did for the last 1/2 hour on Friday, and she said they had an extra recess.

Originally Posted by Bug-House
    I wonder if I presented it as a "temporary" trial-run, they'd be more open to it? Start it now and let it go until the new NWEA scores come out.
    Trial - run is a great idea.
    Also start practicing to translate your ideas into 'school-speak' -
    They want to know any signs that he is unhappy and suffering socially -
    So talking about his worry over and self blame over not being able to spell spherical might be a good one - shows that he is developing unrealistic expectations that are due to him not getting a reasonable amount of challenge inside the classroom (They may not instantly make the connection, though)

Any crying, stomachache or other bodily symptoms. Signs of stress, worry, fear will make an impression.

They don't get it that 'having it easy in school' is not something to envy, so you have to connect the dots and show how he is in pain due to 'too easy.' They have memories of breaking a mental sweat and how painful that is. Try and get them to connect the dots that normal amounts of stress create growth as well as sad memories, and that your son is being denied the chance to get used to working hard. Throw in a few family examples that this is actually a problem. Very few people can coast all the way through their lives, and you don't want to bank on that for your son - you want him to experience the normal learning-associated stress along with all the other kids. Not too much but not too little. It's unpleasant but necessary. Try and find any concrete examples of this in your son to share.

Is he reluctant to try new things that he isn't instantly good at?
    Does he feel that he has to be the fastest in the classroom in order to feel ok about himself?
    Is he mentally equating 'smart' with 'effortless learning?' This is a set up for him have low resilience and quitting the minute the going gets rough.

Read through Tracy Inmanhttp's excellent - 'What a child doesn't learn'
    http://www.wku.edu/academy/?p=430

and see if you can find any little stories of your son that demonstrate these points.

School folks are people - people can move heaven and earth to help other individual people once their hearts are touched. You job is to translate all these ideas which make so much sense to us, here, into words that School folks will hear. They are still living in with their own experience of struggle in school, that they probably don't realize was such a gift - but it's possible that you will be able to help them see that challenge is natural to human development, and the fantasy of breezing through school is as much as a delusion as becoming a Pro Athlete or marrying the Prince.

You can do everything right and still get no where - that's why it feels so hard, because you can ask, you can beg, but the control in this situation is outside your power. (I've failed in the public school and felt that it was my fault. It wasn't.) It's great that your older son has found a school with a different attitude. Is it possible that the DS12's school has a connection with a school for elementary aged kids that they could make a phone call on your behalf and open some doors for your younger son?

Such a large proportion of IQ difference is genetic. Even if the school isn't aware of this on a conscious level, I think that most adults are aware that some families just seem chock full of bright successful kids. That might be better tree to bark up, yes?

Best Wishes,
    ((Mom-Salute from one Mom-warrior to another ))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by LinCO
    Bug-House, you ain't the only one! I have been fighting the school with my 2nd child, and my 3rd is languishing. Last year in second grade, she scored 2 points below - TWO POINTS BELOW - the NWEA level for math. Her teacher bugged and bugged the gifted program. DD taught math to her class all year.

Well, how are you supposed to test on harder math that you haven't been taught? Of course she didn't test there this year either.
    I think this is a situation that begs for Hothousing - just a bit would be all that's needed, assuming it would be fun for your DD. Even just taking a weekend to give all the kids a whack at a free trial of

http://www.aleks.com/free_trial

next rainy weekend just to see what they can do with an enriched environment, if you truly haven't been doing any Math Afterschooling, then that little bit is probably all she needs.

They do have to draw the line somewhere....but to my mind it's better to break the group into 2 subgroups and include a few more of the kids on border in the slower group. Or maybe your DD was an isolated data point? ((In which case, just let her in on a trial basis?)) There should be some group of But basically you are back to the 'SUV' problem if other parents are afterschooling and you aren't.

But I think I'd make more of 2 points on a MAP test than on any other test I know...afterall, the MAP test gives many many many questions that are right at a child's readiness level.

This is an excellent topic, LinCO, and I'd encourage you to move my post and yours to a new thread. Statistically - Vast numbers of kids are in your DD's situation. Every kid deserves to be in a classroom where there is teaching at their readiness level - with academic peers!

Every kid deserves to be in a classroom where there is teaching at their readiness level - with academic peers!

Love and More love,
    Grinity

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by Bug-House
    My older ds(13) is much more verbal and outspoken. He was debating his 1st grade teacher-on the first day of school-about a 3 letter word he picked to rhyme with cat. The teacher told him it wasn't a word. By pick-up time he was livid and threatening to bring a dictionary to prove him wrong. He dropped out of school after 2nd grade and stayed home until last year when he started HS at 12.
    And my guess is that you wish you had pulled DS13 sooner, right?
    Good thing DS13 was born first...otherwise imagine!

So you can't rely on DSyounger to speak up - that means you have to speak up for him, right? Gradeskip is one way to keep a 'fading into the background' kind of kid up against the proper 'background' - although I'm wondering if homeschooling his is a possibility. Keep reminding them that NWEA's MAP is all about figuring out what a child is ready to learn next, and keep asking them to place him with other kids of similar readiness levels - don't worry about the age of those other kids.

((Hugs))
    grinity
    My pg SIL had it out with a teacher at the same age re: the word "gnu"...

I would strongly encourage you to get the book From Emotions to Advocacy. I suspect you will be needing it. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM