Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    This thread has discussed the relative merits of humanities and more career-oriented majors. Many universities may not be good places to study literature and history, because many of the professors don't respect the subjects they are supposed to be teaching.

Yes, quite true. The best history lecturer I know taught at a small state school. A friend would record his lectures for studying and one day I heard him. She let me make copies of the tapes for my own pleasure. He only had a master's degree and was just an adjunct. But he was hugely popular for his speaking ability and ability to get inside the minds of people.

Val Offline
    This thread has discussed the relative merits of humanities and more career-oriented majors. Many universities may not be good places to study literature and history, because many of the professors don't respect the subjects they are supposed to be teaching. They have left a vacuum that is being filled, at much less expense, by the Teaching Company (now know as Great Courses), as discussed in a recent essay:

Very sad. Courses from The Teaching Company are wonderful in certain ways, but they don't teach people how to read and write. For me, one of the major benefits of a degree in the humanities was that it taught me how to read and how to write --- so I don't see them as replacements for a course at a university. A video can't replace live discussions and essays and the ideas they generate.

My professors expected all of us to read between the lines of a text, pick out the theme sentence of a thousand-page novel, figure out what motivated a character, and understand about different perspectives on historical people and events. Then we had to write this stuff down, essay after essay. After my freshman year, I wrote more than a hundred pages every semester. These skills carried through later when I became a scientist.

What's sadder still is that the people who are supposed to be upholding this practice with their own students seem to have taken a pass.

W
    W
    I believe that college is a certification process. That is what I was brought up to believe. Learning is forever. Just because I took engineering doesn't mean that I cannot spend my life enjoying history, literature. I read Proust from beginning to end, not many engineers can say that I bet. Val mentioned writing. I was not a good writer in college. My lab reports were minimal. But I had to take a writing course since I had to write for my work and taking one course taught me the basics. I was the only A the prof ever gave, he said at the time. You can learn to write, just like you can learn to play the piano. But paying the mortgage, you need a skill set to get a job.

Everyone in my neighborhood bascially went to college to get a job, and were specific about it. Maybe I am too old on this forum.

Ren

W
    W
    I believe that college is a certification process. That is what I was brought up to believe. Learning is forever. Just because I took engineering doesn't mean that I cannot spend my life enjoying history, literature. I read Proust from beginning to end, not many engineers can say that I bet. Val mentioned writing. I was not a good writer in college. My lab reports were minimal. But I had to take a writing course since I had to write for my work and taking one course taught me the basics. I was the only A the prof ever gave, he said at the time. You can learn to write, just like you can learn to play the piano. But paying the mortgage, you need a skill set to get a job.

Everyone in my neighborhood bascially went to college to get a job, and were specific about it. Maybe I am too old on this forum.

Ren

W
    W

Ren

Originally Posted by Wren

The problem with college these days is that the net present value of the future stream of income is not justified by the massive debt.

Mostly because universities are being flooded with massive inflows of "free" government money that is then yoked to their marks. I mean students. Yoked to their students.

[quote=Val]<snip>Very sad. Courses from The Teaching Company are wonderful in certain ways, but they don't teach people how to read and write. For me, one of the major benefits of a degree in the humanities was that it taught me how to read and how to write --- so I don't see them as replacements for a course at a university. A video can't replace live discussions and essays and the ideas they generate.<snip> /quote]

I wish my courses were like that. Tutorials are now so big and students so focussed on 'what do I have to do to pass' that I just didn't see much of that anyway.

W
    W

Ren

I
    I
    This thread has discussed the relative merits of humanities and more career-oriented majors. Many universities may not be good places to study literature and history, because many of the professors don't respect the subjects they are supposed to be teaching. They have left a vacuum that is being filled, at much less expense, by the Teaching Company (now know as Great Courses), as discussed in a recent essay:

http://www.city-journal.org/2011/21_3_the-great-courses.html
    HEATHER MAC DONALD
    Great Courses, Great Profits: A teaching company gives the public what the academy no longer supplies: a curriculum in the monuments of human thought.
    City Journal
    Summer 2011

Joseph Epstein explains why fewer students major in English:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903999904576468011530847064.html
    What Killed American Lit.
    Today's collegians don't want to study it�who can blame them?
    by Joseph Epstein
    Wall Street Journal
    August 27, 2011

I think parents who want their children to be liberally educated should look at home schooling curricula such as the one in the "Well Trained Mind" book for classical homeschoolers.

Hmmm Has anyone tried The Great Courses? I went to their site and DH and I just want to buy every DVD on there. Maybe we could justify them as a "homeschooling expense." grin

D
    D
    Island, check your public library before you lay out the funds... ours has several of the courses. Some of them are excellent, some of them less so.

DeeDee

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...