Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    I think I read on here somewhere sometime, that some wise person told their DC it was brain age, not birthdays! I always liked it smile

DeHe

That's great!

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    He isn't around many kids his age, so I'd be surprised if he's trying to "fit in" at this point. I expect that when he starts school in August. But maybe he is picking up on his difference at the playground.
    It doesn't take much, we adults are so used to 'tuning out things' - one lady in a grocery store saying 'My My - well look who is reading!' in a snotty tone can be enough for these tender things.

In general I think 'flexibility training' is very important for these kids who seem born with an internal intuition that is hard to overcome.

You're right. He notices subtle things.

I've had people say, "Did he just read that?!" right in front of him. He's been reading since he was three, but recently when we ask him to read to us, he will say, "I can't read yet, I'm only four." (He's reading at about a second grade level; possibly higher. Maybe he's hiding his ability from us now. Who knows?)

I'll keep that term, "flexibility training" in mind next time he's so insistent.

M
    M
    Aiden just came out of this now. Went through days of explaining that it's a guideline and then showed him how some of his clothes are for a younger age and some are for an older age too - it's just a guideline. Told him that he must do the things he is interested in at the time and level he is interested at.

Took about 4 months of daily repetition of this. And mainly because someone (a few someones) told him that he is too young so he shouldn't. Plus he loves to hide his abilities at the best of times.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    Aiden just came out of this now. Went through days of explaining that it's a guideline and then showed him how some of his clothes are for a younger age and some are for an older age too - it's just a guideline. Told him that he must do the things he is interested in at the time and level he is interested at.

Took about 4 months of daily repetition of this. And mainly because someone (a few someones) told him that he is too young so he shouldn't. Plus he loves to hide his abilities at the best of times.

Ug...Four months of daily repetition? *sigh* OK...I can do this. If I can endure a year of potty-training a three year old, I'm a rock. LoL

Don't you hate when people "raise eyebrows"?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM