Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Well, DeHe and MumOfThree, you've hit the nail on the head with my son. When the fit is bad, my son often acts up too - to remove him from the scene. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with a child "who doesn't want to engage in group time, follow instructions, or do anything that interrupts his exploration of what he finds interesting" (exactly true for us!).

My son wasn't interested in other kids either when he was 3/4 years old or even part of last year either.

My son had a speech delays as well as other delays and was in a special needs program until last Nov when we put him in a private gifted school since we live in MA where there's hardly any gifted programs or accommodations made in public schools for gifted kids, especially PG kids.

We noticed a huge difference when we put him in the private gifted/creative school which is an open-room type school with 28 kids from pre-k to 8th grade. The older kids act as mentors or peers to the younger tykes and coax them to do work, which seems to work considerably better than the drill-and-kill approach or the teacher-driven method to instruction that my son totally resists.

Our son was sociable and interactive (at times) at the playground, but not in the classroom or other certain settings like with the recent Legos event at the public library. So our son selects when he is sociable and interacts with others, which often made previous teachers think he was on the autistic spectrum even though autistic people don't have a sociability switch that they can turn on at recess on the playground and switch off once they enter a classroom.

Of course, the problem now is that school is out and we don't have the money to pay for camp, so I'm kind of stumbling around to occupy my son - which is why I took him to the Legos event at the public library!

I'd be interested to hear any suggestions or ideas on what other parents find what works.

Originally Posted by DeHe
    I got a lot of advice here about finding older kids to play with, it was hard while in pre-k but for camp he is in with first graders and it is SOOOO much better. He is still using words they don't know, but not as many or just don't worry about it as much, but they are so much more interested in imaginary stuff so they like him. Which after the year we had with him unable to fit in and 3 kids being so mean, it almost makes me cry!!! And he SOOO much less conrolling when the kids can keep up with him. When the fit is bad, he acts worse -
    DeHe
    That's how my parenting has been, holding on tight to those little moments when I can see flashes of happiness in my son and believing that things can be so much better than the behavior that shows when the fit isn't good. I use those moments to motivate myself to keep trying to find a good fit, even when it's emotionally exhausting.

As my son has gotten older, there are more and more 'back to back' months of happiness: 8th grade at public school with a gradeskip was excellent from September to March, Summers at CTY camp have been great, and this year, 9th grade deceleration at boarding school has been excellent. What a difference from elementary school (One amazingly good year plus 1 terrible year and 2 'quite bad' years!)

As far as peers, DS went to daycare at age 7 weeks. His stratagy was to choose a single child to be his main focus, and all was well as long as that other child was in school and willing to play. The teachers were also concerned that he seemed to want so much of their attention. In retrospect I think he craved adult attention because the Adults could talk, unlike his classmates.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs