Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    Colin'smum, this reminds me of an article I read talking about very young children and helping them discover vs showing them things. They gave small kids a toy with several functions, and either said "hmmm, I wonder what this does?" or "let me show it, it can light up". The kids who were shown how it lights up would make it light up a few times, then wander off, the kids who were handed the toy and asked a question discovered many more of the functions and played with the toy for longer.
    I remember that one! I think it was in a Carol Dweck book that I read about it. I hadn't connected, but you're quite right, it's very much related.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    F.A.I.L.
    Lol, I reviewed my previous post and 48 minutes is not 1/4 hour.
    Why did nobody tell me I had spinach in my teeth?
    And you guys are my friends.
    Geezh.

�thanks for the pm.
    You are a tutor, very good. �It seems like tutors are expanding their area of service by use of skyppe these days. �As your "crowd" grows you can use video conference to include larger groups of students at a time.
    I am only the mother of very young children (one pre-k and one infant) so I'm unsure what the schools are using to teach word problems. �I have noticed among the regular posters on this board there is only one teacher, a couple of professors, and one blogger of gifted resources. �Maybe they could better tell you what works and what does not work about your program. �
    I was offering only a consumer-response survey that I liked the look of one website over another.

I would like to help you with this. �I believe by keep questioning and refining we can discover and resolve what is not working about getting your useful method to people that could benefit. �From the wording you have used I feel like you're trying to prepare young children for higher maths. �I would like to better understand what you're trying to do AT THIS POINT with your educational material. �Are you trying to refine the technique itself? �Are you certain of the core math it's built around? �Do you need help refining the delivery or teaching method? �Or is everything fine except for the marketing? �What pre-requisite knowledge should a child have before attempting to understand your program? �Let's keep talking about this. �I have time. �It won't bother anybody else. �Maybe somebody who teaches can further review the material. �I hope you view criticism as constructive. �And, well, rejection is part of getting published. I know ur not trying to get published, necessarily, but the idea is the same. �You're trying to get out there.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Your page reminds me of this other blogger's page that I read recently saying that "what's wrong with kids these days is they just don't have a clue what a equals sign means". It seems like your method has some kind of built in mechanism to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Perhaps you could demonstrate the steps in your method for solving the following equation. I visualize better by example.
    � � � � � � � � � �MY TAPE RECORDER �RUNS AT A SPEED OF 7 1/2 INCHES PER SECOND. �HOW MANY HOURS�
    �� � � � � � � � �CAN A 1800 FOOT ROLL OF TAPE BE PLAYED ? � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �

Also, did you create a new theorum?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    H
    hals99 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    It is a 'theorem' if you want to call it that. "Equality of an equation also includes the dimensional names, if any, of the numerical elements "

This is the basis of 'Dimensional Analysis' used by all sciences (and taught in all such university courses).It is the cornerstone of my Word/Fraction technique which expands upon that concept.

Hope you got my private E-mail to you

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader