Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 138 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Here's what you're up against. �Mr. Google gives away 25 of your 50 rules For FREE! Here:
    http://www.purplemath.com/modules/translat.htm
    Google quote:
    Over 16000 math word problems for grades 1st through Advanced 6th. Available both in English � New problems are added regularly. �that's a paid site here:
    http://www.mathstories.com/
    which, since you're selling "for gifted kids" makes more sense because when they get into something they over-do it.
    I'm just an avid consumer not a marketing professional. �I do buy things like what you're selling which is an exhaustive summary of one thing without all the extras even knowing there's webpages giving it away. �I do. �If I were buying it your advertisement would not sell me. I would buy from amazon. �I would spend 2 or 3 nights flipping back and forth through all that's available on amazon �and buy the most stream-lined, exhaustive, no frills book, which yours actually is. �Amazon has a thing that you put your e-book for sale as a book and they only print copies as people buy them. �

Just as feed-back for advertising that I see and am sold by, here's the friendly, informative blog:
    http://www.tutorhand.com/tutoringblog/teaching-mathematical-word-problems/
    I see they give away broad, useful information, enough so that you can use it and do it yourself, but just enough so you can see how much work it would be and hire them instead. �It's hard to buy from this sales pitch because I look at it and say "amature" and wonder if they really know any more about it than I do. �Are they worth paying?
    There's this guy: �which is like you, got a good looking product but just looks so darn flashy, gimmicky, sales man. �Granted, this formula might look like a sales pitch because it actually makes sales and has successfully over time. �But I looked into that guy selling this outline a few years back, his name escapes me at the moment. �
    http://www.good-child-guide.com/

What I more often buy from more quickly and without hesitating for so long over more often looks like this:
    http://www2.nvusd.k12.ca.us/apps/pubs.asp?Q=2&T=Board+Math&P=52
    Granted, that's a school, but the layout... If you made pretty whiteboard problems showing over and over how you're rules apply repeatedly to all conceivable types of word problems you could show me how your program works convincingly without even just telling me�

55 essential but simple rules (with examples) as well as error-reducing 'tips'
    Converting common words (e.g. �'is', 'of', 'by', 'per', etc.) into math operations

Not quite what you expected when you wandered into a gifted forum, huh? �Makes me feel for the teachers who wander in to teach a gifted class thinking it will just be more of the same but less work for them because the kids are gifted. �Makes me feel for the kids who get such a teacher as well. �Makes me very grateful that people are creating different environments for gifted children to learn in.

K. �I'll can it unless you want me to tell you more ideas of more work for you to do, but I won't charge you. �

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    H
    hals99 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks all for some valid comments. It is true that the book was not especially written for gifted children ..

Most of the 55 rules are basic math truths but written (with examples) for improved understanding by those that need it ...
    Nothing particularly unique about them ! but they are needed to understand the math validity of the unique Word/Fraction technique

However, I wonder if any readers took the time to read the website's tab called 'WORD/FRACTION TECHNIQUE'. Please try the example problem on your gifted students (review their writings..
    % correct)

Here is a summary of a technique which I believe is both unique and effective for those that the many that have difficulty.

1. No arithmetic until the equation is written !!! (see below)

2. Word/Fractions (W/F)can be inverted at will
    (60 miles/hour = hour/60 miles)

3. Conversion W/F (3 feet/yard) (all equal to 1 may be added as
    as a product in the equation)

4. Step # 1 in creating the equation is to write down the name of the answer ( = ? miles/hour)

5. Write an equation using a data from the problem (mostly products) ...(which is probably incorrect initially)

^. Using dimensional analysis, invert any or all W/F in order to cancel all words (as NUM/DEN pairs) on the left side equation until the remaining words equal the answer name.

Comments of the above basic concept of the book is welcomed (e.g. why it is not an improvement to any existing methods, if there any overall detailed methods)

Your comments are getting closer but still pretty general with no comments on the W/F and that MWP are a problem due to reading ,etc.

H
    hals99 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks for the info. I still believe that all of your gifted students would benefit form my unique WORD/FRACTION technique..
    if only educators would give it a try. But, I do not have a warm feeling that they are interested in any radical approach (even though it really, really, really works)

�� � � � � � � � � MY TAPE RECORDER �RUNS AT A SPEED OF 7 1/2 INCHES PER SECOND. �HOW MANY HOURS�
    �� � � � � � � � �CAN A 1800 FOOT ROLL OF TAPE BE PLAYED ? � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �

7.5 " per second
    1800 ft per xhours
    1800 x 12 to turn it to inches
    21,600" /7.5"�
    2,880 s.
    2,880 s =48m.

My grandmother came up with the same thing.
    ------
    ---------
    21600 inches

Etc...,
    She came up with the same 48 minutes.
    So, 1/4 hour.
    I used my lifeline. �

Someone here mentioned the only thing is that you're selling to student's parents, not to teachers. �Know your audience, know your competition. �As they pointed out teachers tend to teach their own technique and they get an attitude with the kids if they use any other method. �But. But. But.
    You know something. �You know how to show it to somebody else. �That, my friend, is called intellectual property. �It has monetary value but it's a beast to wrangle in this day and age. �I can offer one more marketable bonus for you, tutoring. �Consider skype to expand your marketable services along the same lines. �Skype and Amazon's print as you go are two more client bases for you.
    The alternative, given that teachers dislike kids learning outside of the box methods, is to contact the houghton mifflin publishers and see how you can get in. �If you think you're more along those lines than private tutor over Skyppe let me know, I'll help you look up some appropriate venues. �What is your vision and how can I help?"

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    I really think that targeting this toward parents or teachers of gifted kids is barking up the wrong tree. Gifted kids typically grasp things like the associative and commutative properties of addition and multiplication the first time they are taught them. They are not typically the kids who are applying an algorithm without understanding why it works. If they make mistakes on word problems, it is usually because either they over-complicate them, or because they are being asked to do 10 or 20 or 50 problems of a type they know how to solve, and that are essentially identical, and they lose interest halfway through, so they don't notice when one of the problems switches things around.

My son glanced at your page with the first chapter excerpts. His immediate response: "He hasn't really thought this through. His rules don't work for every case. Let's say that you have a problem where someone gave you half of a zebra, and someone else gave you another half of a zebra. That would be (1/2 * 1 zebra) + (1/2 * 1 zebra) by his rules. So according to him, that would be equal to 2*(1 zebra/2)= 1 zebra. And that method would be correct if you were talking about liters of water. But you aren't, you are talking about zebras. Just because you have two halves of a zebra, that doesn't mean that you have a whole zebra. You might have two right halves. You might have half of a male zebra and half of a female. And even if you had two halves of a single individual, that still wouldn't give you a whole zebra without an awful lot of repair work."

When gifted kids have issues with word problems, it is not generally because they can't figure out what the words mean, or how that should translate into an equation, but because they can see too well what they mean.

I was never very good at math, yet did very well with word problems; possibly because I was in advanced English courses in high school. (1980's)

A DVD that I like that teaches how to decode word problems: Mathtacular 4

There's also a workbook.

S
    S
    I have been so impressed recently with my third graders ability to solve word problems! I think it is surprising just how much they really can do! She surprised even herself when she did them. She did get somewhere that "these are hard." She sometimes doesn't read the whole problem. But I think that is because she thinks she is smart enough not to.

I have been on her about reading the whole problem lately and I think it is sinking in!

I think that word problems are a great way to figure out if a child knows the material all the way or just the short cuts! It is very clear to me that she understands the material when she can figure out these "missing number" word problems without having had any algebra or any advanced math classes. Many times she hasn't even been taught the math to DO the word problem, (long-division, decimals, mixed fractions) but she can figure the answer out anyway!

I wonder if NOT teacher her these "short cuts" in math yet is actually making her a stronger math student. She has to thoroughly understand every part of the problem and use problem soving skills to find that answers, rather than writing down 98654/3...and soving that. It really IS amazing!

I gave her the Sexton Math placement test to see which level workbook I should buy for the summer. She got 100 percent on 4th and 5th grade Math! I did, however had to tell her that the 'z' stood for the entire top number in the addition problem and not just the number that would have been in the one's place...That was funny to me!

She and I were AMAZED that she could do that much math without ever having been "taught it!"

As I said before, I wonder if "teaching" math processes...like long division and multiplication, mixed fraction solving...too early is taking away from the overall understanding and problem solving skill that are so important for solving word problems...

Any thought?

C
    C
    Originally Posted by sydness
    As I said before, I wonder if "teaching" math processes...like long division and multiplication, mixed fraction solving...too early is taking away from the overall understanding and problem solving skill that are so important for solving word problems...

Any thought?
    I should say that I'm not a teacher of children and I acknowledge that what suits my DS might not suit all children, but... yeah. I think the issue is teaching an algorithm at a stage when it looks to the child like magic. If the child really understands why the algorithm works - I don't mean so that s/he could write a formal proof of it, but so that s/he can see which modifications of it are legitimate and which are not, through really understanding what the algorithm does and why this is a useful thing to do - then learning the algorithm should be quick and easy, and might even be unnecessary, as s/he might be able to invent one when it's required.

On the other hand, if the child doesn't have the background understanding or isn't developmentally ready to learn what's needed, then the algorithm is hard to learn and prone to being misremembered. It will then certainly not be correctly remembered in later life. The child might be able to do that kind of question in a test, but won't have much chance of doing problems that require a slightly different method. It's hard to think of a case where there's really any point in that sort of learning.

There must be a middle ground - a tricky judgement area for teachers, I expect - where the child hasn't quite got there but almost, such that practising the algorithm might actually foster the missing understanding.

As a parent, I try to watch how much input DS needs to do a problem. If it's a quick hint/reminder (e.g. recently when he was trying to turn a recurring decimal into a fraction, and couldn't remember how to go about it, "what I'd do is multiply by something so as to get rid of that pesky infinite decimal" was enough to remind him broadly of the technique he needed - see how little info there is there compared with the full algorithm) then I see the problem as being in his ZPD and don't worry. If he needs a hint, and then another hint, and still isn't there, I reckon he's missing something and go for a more basic problem.

Last edited by ColinsMum; 06/14/11 08:12 AM. Reason: copy/paste error

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    S
    S
    COOL! I am learning so much from watching my daugher learn! I'm not even close to a teacher and don't have the vocabulary to do with what I am learning about learning! But I'm so glad that at least one person agrees with my observation.

I did teach her long division when she was drawing pictures to come up with the answer...and she was like "OH! Why didn't you tell me this before!" lol..So, I have asked to school to skip her to 5th grade math in the fall, but I wonder if 'not knowing' the tricks is actually a better way to go. I would worry that in 5th grade, they might teach her things that she would be better off not know for a little while, even though it might cause her to take a little longer than it would otherwise, to do the problems. I suspect in the long run, she will be stronger for it!

T
    T
    Colin'smum, this reminds me of an article I read talking about very young children and helping them discover vs showing them things. They gave small kids a toy with several functions, and either said "hmmm, I wonder what this does?" or "let me show it, it can light up". The kids who were shown how it lights up would make it light up a few times, then wander off, the kids who were handed the toy and asked a question discovered many more of the functions and played with the toy for longer.

I'm not a teacher of adult or children, but I try and use that sort of technique, to have them figure out the rule or algorithm themselves.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM