Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    ljoy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks - we'll take a look at it!

A
    A
    For gap remediation, they might want to try something like ALEKS, which is set up to pretest and only present topics that the student needs to work on, in addition to whatever regular curriculum they end up using.

L
    ljoy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks, everyone. I may have a hard time convincing the coordinator to go with a mastery curriculum but it's a worthy goal.

J
    J
    After reading your post, Kcab, I looked at that singapore math website you bookmarked. We have only used the blue and white books, not the Primary Education books you cite. Should we get those primary education books too? SO far, the blue and white ones have worked very well.

J
    J
    I think that the most important thing is that math is taught from a Constructivist perspective.

http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/math/

We are using Right Start to afterschool my six year old. Right now he is doing Level D, but here is my review of Level C:

http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/2011/06/14/review-right-start-level-c/

Y
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    Y
    We love beestar and DD does the math program at home. The worksheets are full of real life world problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. Pretty cool~~
    Lisa

B
    B
    I'm not a teacher.

From a parent's perspective: please stay away from using Every Day Math, aka EDM, as the core of ANY program, gifted or not. The spiralling back method, where weeks later the kids are asked to "recall" what they did back then, and apply it to what they are being newly introduced to right now, does not seem to work with most kids. At least, not for math.

Plus, I HATE the seeming reliance on calculators in that program, for young kids.

DS8 still has issues, having used EDM at his old school for Grades PS, K, and 1.

I am not familiar with Singapore Math.

The G&T program here is basically IEP/pull-outs for PG kids, and giving kids who are advanced or superior, but not PG, extra work to do while the teacher works with others in class. The extra work seems to be busy work, as only the "real" work, same as the others do, counts towards any grades.

FASTT Math and MathMasters online, self chosen, self directed, are a daily part of my son's math lessons in his school.

I think I am going to ask about Singapore Math at his school.

J
    J
    I've posted before how much we love singapore math. It's very visual and emphasizes problem solving skills. We did take a break for a bit to get math facts down better with Kumon drill and kill, but we will go back to it soon.
    Our school used Everyday Math. It seems muddled. My son is very good at math and I think he didn't care what curriculum was used.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM