Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    beak #110289 08/25/11 08:27 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by beak
    Ptp-this article on teaching argument skills is excellent. We've been doing a few of these things because DS is a natural negotiator and problem solver. We've tried to support his solutions when appropriate. I'm going to use some of the strategies myself, amnd teach them to DS. Thanks!

LOL I loved that article ptp posted.

Ok. So how do I teach my daughter AND my husband to argue with me using logic? DH gets really mad at me if I start getting too logical with him. Sometimes, he just wants his feelings to be recognized or doesn't want to analyze a situation if it makes him feel bad. I don't want to denigrate the value of the feelings. Feelings are valid, even if illogical most of the time.

I remember in first grade this girl used to chase me all over the playground at recess and hit me (often with her jump rope.) I don't know why no one ever stepped in. Anyway, I realized she just wanted someone to play with because she didn't have any friends, so I negotiated with her and told her I would play with her some days if she would stop chasing me and hitting me. Then, I would play with her some days and I would come up with good reasons why I couldn't most of the other days. Persuasion is a useful skill! grin

Sync #110305 08/25/11 12:31 PM
    U
    U
    DH gets really mad at me if I start getting too logical with him. Sometimes, he just wants his feelings to be recognized or doesn't want to analyze a situation if it makes him feel bad.

I have this same problem with my husband. Ironically, you and I are both using the stereotypical "male" communication style here while our husbands are being stereotypically "female." This is part of why all the gender generalizations make me crazy.

Sync #110306 08/25/11 12:34 PM
    U
    U
    Also, that article on argument skills made me smile. Please, no one show this to my DD. She needs absolutely no help in this department. wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM